Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

This article was printed from, originally published .

Read more news at:

Fan dies after collapsing at Rogers Centre

TOR View Full Game Coverage ONTO -- A male spectator went into cardiac arrest at Rogers Centre on Thursday and later died, according to The Associated Press, citing Toronto Police Services.

The incident resulted in a four-minute delay in the seventh inning as medical staff attended to the fan, who was seated down the left-field line. The fan, whose age and name were not released, was then placed on a cart which departed through a gate in left field while a medic continued CPR.

"First of all, our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the person who was taken out of the ballgame here tonight," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said at the beginning of his postgame news conference. "That was clearly a serious situation."

Medics appeared to be administering CPR for several minutes before attention on the field was diverted into the stands. More medics rushed to the scene while security attempted to clear the immediate vicinity surrounding the fan.

The commotion was spotted by White Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis, who was one of the closest players to the scene. He could immediately tell something was wrong and at that time made a request for play to be temporarily stopped.

"It was not a good sight, it was bad," a visibly shaken Youkilis said after the game. "I could just see the guy pumping on him. It was happening too long. Finally, I was like, 'We got to stop this thing' and Mark [Wegner, third-base umpire] kind of saw Mike [Winters, second-base umpire] and kind of stopped.

"It puts it in perspective, this is a game and it's not life or death. To see something like that, hopefully the gentleman is OK, but it didn't look too good."

When play was put on hold, the Blue Jays dugout emptied as most players walked a few feet onto the field in an attempt to find out what was going on. White Sox players remained on the field of play as they too watched from a distance.

There was some confusion as to what had actually transpired in the stands but when people saw that CPR was being administered, they knew something very bad had occurred.

"I didn't know what was going on at all," said White Sox reliever Jesse Crain, who was pitching at the time. "I was locked into the situation. I was told it was going on for a while and once Youk called timeout and they stopped the game, I looked over there and I saw.

"You automatically start thinking of life, you put everything in perspective. At the beginning of that inning, I'm fired up to get guys out and not that let that guy score and you see something like that, it puts everything in perspective. It didn't look good. I don't know what ended up happening but I said a little prayer for him after everything started going again just to make myself feel better [because you have to play]. You don't ever want to see that."

Toronto Blue Jays