Principle 4.1 (Accountability) - An organization is responsible for personal information under its control and must designate an individual responsible for compliance with PIPEDA;
Principle 4.2 (Identifying Purposes) - An organization must specify why it is collecting personal information, and such purposes must be identified at or before the information is collected;
Principle 4.3 (Consent) - An organization must obtain an individual's consent for the collection of personal information and subsequent use and disclosure;
Principle 4.4 (Limiting Collection) - An organization must limit the collection of information to that which is necessary for the identified purposes;
Principle 4.5 (Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention) - An organization must not use or disclose personal information for a purpose other than for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or where required or permitted by law;
Principle 4.6 (Accuracy) - An organization must ensure that personal information it maintains is accurate, complete, and up to date;
Principle 4.7 (Safeguards) - An organization must take appropriate safeguards to protect personal information;
Principle 4.8 (Openness) - An organization must be open about its policies and practices;
Principle 4.9 (Individual Access) - An organization must provide individuals with a right of access to their personal information, subject to certain restrictions as set out in PIPEDA; and
Principle 4.10 (Challenging Compliance) - An organization must advise individuals of its complaint procedures.
1) Collection of Personal Information
"Personal Information" is any information, recorded in any form, about an identifiable individual including information that can be used to recognize, identify or contact a specific individual, such as a name, address, email address, birth date or gender. We collect Personal Information through a variety of means, including:
- Ticket sales and programs;
- Merchandise sales;
- Volunteer programs;
- Tax receipts; and
- Communications of relevant news or updates.
In most cases and subject to legal and contractual restrictions, you are free to refuse or withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure by Jays Care of your Personal Information at any time upon reasonable advance notice to us. However, the withdrawal of your consent is not retroactive. It should be noted that in certain circumstances, services can only be offered if you provide Jays Care with your Personal Information. We will inform you of the consequences of the withdrawal of consent.
3) Use of Personal Information
Jays Care uses Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with the information, goods, services and programs that you have requested from us (together, the "Requested Services") and to communicate with you in respect of the Requested Services (including, for example, invoicing, changes/enhancements and renewals);
- Unless you request otherwise, to provide you with Jays Care-related marketing materials and information that may be of interest to you, including, for example, campaign materials, promotions and event news;
- Unless you request otherwise, to provide you with marketing materials and information in respect of our donors, corporate partners and/or sponsors, including, for example, special offers, promotions and event news;
- If you enter a contest or other promotion offered by Jays Care, to administer the contest or promotion, in accordance with its rules and applicable laws; and
- To satisfy other reasonable, legitimate charitable interests
Jays Care does not use Personal Information for purposes other than those listed above, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law. We retain Personal Information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
4) Disclosure of Personal Information
Jays Care will only disclose your Personal Information to third parties and/or affiliates:
- Where you have specifically given us your consent to disclose your Personal Information for a specified purpose;
- Who are acting on our behalf as agents, suppliers or service providers, and solely to enable us to provide you with the goods, services, programs, contests, promotions and information that you have requested or otherwise consented to or to improve upon the foregoing. These entities act on behalf of Jays Care in these circumstances and are required to maintain the confidentiality of all such Personal Information. Certain of these entities may be located outside of Canada and therefore your Personal Information may be stored and processed outside Canada and may be subject to the laws of other jurisdictions;
- If you enter a contest or other promotion offered by Jays Care, to administer the contest or promotion, in accordance with its rules;
- Within the Rogers group of companies, to develop and customize products or services to better meet your needs and preferences and to offer you products and services. You can view the Rogers Group of Companies (Rogers) Commitment to Privacy at http://www.rogers.com/web/content/Commitment-to-Privacy. If you do not wish to receive offers from the Rogers group of companies, please contact us at the address below;
- As part of a corporate reorganization, merger, sale or amalgamation with another entity, or a sale of all of substantially all of Jays Care's assets. Personal Information will be among the business assets transferred in these circumstances;
- Where the information is public; and
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of any Jays Care policies, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Jays Care does not disclose Personal Information for purposes other than those listed above, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law. We do not disclose credit card account information provided to us except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute. In no event will Jays Care trade, license, rent or sell your Personal Information in any manner.
6) Electronic Communications and bluejays.com
We will communicate with you by way of email and other forms of electronic communication only if you have consented to us doing so or if such electronic communications otherwise comply with Canada's anti-spam laws.
7) Links to other Websites
8) National Do Not Call List
9) Contact Us
Jays Care Foundation
One Blue Jays Way, Suite 3200
Toronto, Ontario M5V 1J1
Phone: (416) 341-3740
E-mail: [email protected]
10) Notification of Changes
Last Updated and Effective Date: December 1, 2017