In honor of Mike Trout's birthday, here are 21 highlights from his 21st year
So, this Mike Trout guy: pretty good at baseball. To celebrate the Millville Meteor's 22nd birthday, we've compiled 21 of our favorite moments from his first year in the Majors.
1. Last fall, Trout came in second to Miguel Cabrera in American League MVP voting, and was named 2012's AL Rookie of the Year. Not too shabby at all.
2. In March 2013, his high school baseball team even named their field after him -- though he's still years away from his first class reunion.
3. The rookie's stellar performance on the field didn't stop the hazing in the dugout (if anything, it probably encouraged it). His teammates forced him to carry a Hello Kitty doll everywhere.
4. But, over the past year, he's fit in some quality bonding time with his fellow Angels. Modeling stylish surgical masks with Josh Hamilton:
5. Drive-by creeping on Hank Conger:
6. And sharing a victory dance with Erick Aybar ... on multiple occasions:
7. He's had plenty of reasons to celebrate. In 2011-2012, Trout led the American League in Wins Above Replacement (WAR), runs scored and stolen bases.
8. But Trout hasn't been content to rest on his laurels. He was more than ready to run wild in 2013's spring training.
9. Since turning 21, Mike's pulled off some amazing defensive plays. There was this catch:
10. And that catch:
11. Not to mention this one:
12. And did you really think we'd forget about this?
13. We certainly can't overlook the outfielder's power at the plate. Take this homer, snagged by a lucky Trout fan:
14. He hit his first career grand slam in April:
15. Then, in May, became the youngest AL player ever (and only the sixth Angel) to hit for the cycle:
16. ...inspiring his mom to dub him "Troutstanding":
One proud Mama!!! Standing ovation at the Big A !!! TROUTSTANDING !!!- Debbie Trout (@DebbieTrout27) May 22, 2013
17. Mike also hung out with his dad:
His adorable niece:
And possibly Justin Bieber?
Your gonna be in jersey ???@justinbieber- Mike Trout (@Trouty20) July 30, 2013
18. A Trout hat, a Trout Farm and a Trout Clan were all created in his honor at Angel Stadium.
19. In July, Trout went swimming in mid-air at his second All-Star Game in two years:
20. In June, he competed for a fly ball with a fan dressed in his own jersey:
21. And, the week before that, somehow managed to high-five his own shadow:
Happy Birthday, Mike!