Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

A Red Sox-Marlins rivalry brought to you by Spring Training

On Thursday, the Marlins reportedly expressed concern over the roster the Red Sox sent to their matchup at Roger Dean Stadium, indicating Boston's team didn't include the required number of regular players set forth by the MLB Spring Training guidelines.

Just two of the position players in Boston's starting lineup -- Jackie Bradley Jr. and Ryan Lavarnway -- had previously appeared in big league games. MLB guidelines state teams should have a minimum of four players who are regulars or have platooned the previous season.

When asked about the roster following the game, Red Sox manager John Farrell explained why the decision was made:

"Today is an enormous workday for our entire infield with [coach] Brian [Butterfield] back at home. We earmarked this day on the calendar to do just that. The integrity of the game and for what the fans are going to come and see, we certainly take that into account, but our team is the priority, the individual needs guys have. That's where we are."

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington later apologized to Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill:

On Friday morning, Hill said Cherington sent an e-mail to the Marlins apologizing and explaining his organization's reasoning.

"We got an e-mail from their GM, saying they had some injuries, and they were working on some things," Hill said. "He apologized. It was during the game."

Then, on Saturday, Red Sox owner John Henry tweeted out his own thoughts on lineups and apologies: