Here's what D-backs and Braves fans can expect from the Shelby Miller-Dansby Swanson deal
What to expect from Shelby Miller-Dansby Swanson deal
Just days after acquiring Zack Greinke, the D-backs traded for All-Star Shelby Miller on Tuesday night. It's another deal that makes us wonder whether Arizona is becoming the most fun team in baseball. Whether we'll finally purchase that vintage teal Junior Spivey jersey. Whether we might actually attend a pool party with Dallas Braden, D. Baxter the Bobcat and D. Baxter the Bobcat's mankini:
But this time, the D-backs gave up some premier talent -- including 2015's No. 1 Draft pick and MLB.com's No. 10 prospect Dansby Swanson. Let's take a quick look at what both sides of the trade bring to the table.
- The right-hander has a career 3.22 ERA, an All-Star appearance and 483 strikeouts in three full MLB seasons ... and he's still just 25 years old.
- In just his eighth MLB start back in 2013, he was nearly perfect against the Rockies (sans a leadoff single) -- tallying a game score of 98. It's the highest such score in Cardinals history.
- Although he hasn't been as superb as in the regular season, Miller has already pitched in the postseason during three separate years. If the D-backs get there in 2016, his experience should be useful.
- He is a magician on defense.
- He'll be the hit of your ugly sweater party.
Found it! pic.twitter.com/7MbzZ5OJBT— Shelby C Miller (@ShelbyMiller19) December 11, 2013
- He was the 2015 MLB Draft No. 1 pick, the D-backs' No. 1 overall prospect and is ranked No. 10 on MLB.com's Top 100 Prospect list.
- The 21-year-old shortstop slashed at a .289/.394/.482 rate with 11 RBIs in 22 games for Arizona's Class A Short Season team this past season. He's described as a "technically sound hitter" whose "makeup is off the charts."
- He's been known to dog pile with fellow Vanderbilt alum and pretty cool guy David Price.
- He's from Georgia and grew up watching the Braves -- fantasizing about playing in the big leagues. From The Tennessean:
- His name is DANSBY SWANSON. Find us a better-named player than Dansby Swanson. Also, that Twitter handle ...
- Along with Swanson, the Braves also received outfielder Ender Inciarte, who hit .303 with 21 steals for the D-backs last season and starting pitcher Austin Blair -- MLB.com's 61st-ranked prospect -- who put up a 2.92 ERA during 26 appearances at Double-A and Triple-A in 2015.