PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) will host a Memorial Day Doubleheader this Monday at 12:40 p.m. and 6:40 p.m. against the Texas Rangers at Chase Field. The D-backs will honor fallen soldiers with a moment of silence prior to each game.
In between games, the D-backs are partnering with the Phoenix Mercury to host a Street Fest that will feature a Beer Garden, entertainment, food trucks and music located at Fourth Street and Jackson. Any fan holding a ticket to the Mercury's home opener that day may show the ticket at the Chase Field Box Office to receive $10 off any D-backs ticket for the 6:40 p.m. Memorial Day game. Fans are also encouraged to visit Game Seven Grill along the Gila River Casinos Plaza in between games and enjoy live music.
As part of the team's Memorial Day tribute, veteran and two-time USA Memory Champion Ron White will spend approximately 10 hours hand writing from memory the first and last names of every fallen American soldier from the war in Afghanistan on a blank 50-foot memorial wall. Fans are invited to watch the transformation of the wall beginning at 10 a.m. in the Right Field Deck inside Chase Field. In addition, the Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation will donate $2,500 to White's Wounded Warrior fundraising efforts.
Next to the memorial wall will be a Remember the Fallen moving exhibit honoring the courageous men and women from Arizona who have given their lives in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. Remember the Fallen is supported by the Honor Walk Foundation and Circle K and features photos and artifacts.
In addition, Budweiser will host 50 active military personnel from Luke Air Force Base at both games and will include a party in between games at Game Seven Grill. The free D-backs Insider magazine, available to all fans at the games, will feature a cover story on a trio of D-backs relievers with military ties - Heath Bell, Brad Ziegler and Josh Collmenter, who recently visited with troops at Luke AFB.
The D-backs, as well as all 30 Major League Clubs, will wear specially designed caps and jerseys featuring an authentic military digital camouflage design licensed from the United States Marine Corps during the night game. Major League Baseball will donate 100 percent of the net proceeds from sales of the caps and jerseys to Welcome Back Veterans, an initiative of Major League Baseball Charities and the Robert McCormick Foundation, which provides grants to university hospitals throughout the country to support post traumatic brain injury (TBI) treatment to veterans and their families in a public/private partnership.
The D-backs' first game at 12:40 p.m. will feature the following:
- Budweiser will give away 5,000 D-backs Snapback Caps to fans 21 and over
- Several family members of the Arizona National Guard will participate in all of the in-game activities
- U.S. Navy Petty Officer Steven Powell will sing the national anthem
- Staff Sergeant Sidney Brunson from Luke AFB Operations Group Intelligence will throw out the ceremonial first pitch on behalf of Budweiser
The D-backs' second game at 6:40 p.m. will feature the following:
- A silent ceremonial first pitch that will be placed by Margy Bons, founder of Military Assistance Mission (MAM), in honor of her son Michael Adam Marzano who was killed in action in May 2005
- The D-backs and Sanderson Ford will present a $50,000 check to the Military Assistance Mission during a pregame ceremony on the field that will provide financial and morale aid to Arizona active duty military, their families, and wounded warriors regardless of overseas deployment status
- The D-backs and Sanderson Ford will host 1,000 military veterans and their families
- In partnership with Building Homes for Heroes, the D-backs and Chase will present U.S. Army Sergeant Bryan Kelsey with a key to his new house in Tucson in a special pregame ceremony on the field
- U.S. Air Force Technical Sergeant Marquia Giles will sing the national anthem
The D-backs are offering a 50 percent discount on single game tickets to both games on May 27 available to all active duty, reserve, retired and veterans as well as active or retired fire and police personnel with valid ID. Tickets for both games start at $12 and are available at the Chase Field Box Office, by calling 602.514.8400 or online at dbacks.com/tickets.