Ray on concussion DL, will travel with team

Bracho recalled for bullpen; Lamb returns to lineup

July 29th, 2017

ST. LOUIS -- One day after being struck in the head by a 108.1-mph line drive, D-backs left-hander Robbie Ray stopped by the visitors clubhouse early Saturday afternoon to check in with team trainers and have lunch.

Ray was taken to a local hospital Friday night, where he was diagnosed with a concussion. The D-backs placed him on the 7-day concussion list Saturday and recalled right-hander from Triple-A Reno.

"He came into the clubhouse and he looked really good," D-backs manager Torey Lovullo said. "The wound was repaired with a couple of staples in his head. He just said he felt a little bit sore. Everything is trending toward a very positive outcome. The cognitive testing was good, his balance was good, but he still has some signs of a concussion. Those will hopefully be eliminated in the coming days."

Ray returned to the team hotel prior to batting practice. He is scheduled to accompany the team on the rest of the road trip, which includes a three-game series in Chicago and a three-game set in San Francisco.

"On a daily basis, he'll be examined by our training staff and medical team," Lovullo said. "Obviously there are certain guidelines he has to follow before he comes off of [the concussion] list, and when and if that happens, we're not sure."

The D-backs are also not certain of what they will do about Ray's place in the rotation in the meantime.

An off-day Monday allows them to get through next week without needing another starter until next weekend.

Lovullo did not want to speculate whether it was possible that Ray could return by then.

"I think it's too early to predict that," Lovullo said. "Anything is possible in this game, I know that, but we want to wait as long as we can before we announce those decisions moving forward."

Ray had two staples put in the side of his head to close a wound opened when the ball hit him.

Lamb back at it

Third baseman was feeling better and back in the lineup Saturday.

Lamb made a catch falling into the stands Thursday night and landed on his tailbone. When he woke up Friday morning, it was pretty sore, so he did not start that night, but pinch-hit and struck out to end the game.