Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

This article was printed from, originally published .

Read more news at:

Marson stitched up after being hit in face

CHI View Full Game Coverage CAGO -- Indians catcher Lou Marson needed three stitches to seal a bloody lip after being hit in the face with a pitch in Sunday's 12-6 loss to the White Sox on Sunday afternoon, but there is no word on how the baseball is doing.

"Now that's funny," Marson said with a laugh.

Cleveland's catcher was able to joke about the incident, because he came away feeling fine after the scary moment in the fourth inning. That is when Marson was struck on the left side of his mouth by an errant curveball from White Sox right-hander Gavin Floyd.

After a meeting on the field with manager Manny Acta and head athletic trainer Lonnie Soloff, who tended to a cut in the corner of the catcher's mouth, Marson initially stayed in the ballgame. When the wound would not stop bleeding, Marson was pulled from the contest in the fifth inning and replaced by backup catcher Luke Carlin.

Acta said Marson was doing fine after the game.

"Lou, he's OK," Acta said. "He had a big gash inside his mouth. He got stitched up there and had a little bit of a laceration on his face, but he's OK. He's a tough guy. He's probably one of the toughest guys I've been around."

Marson, who is hitting .147 through 16 games this season, is currently filling in for injured catcher Carlos Santana. The Indians placed Santana on Major League Baseball's seven-day disabled list on Saturday after the catcher suffered a mild concussion in Friday's 9-3 loss to the White Sox. Santana was hit in the facemask by a foul ball from Alex Rios in that game.

Marson considered himself lucky after taking a baseball directly off his face on Sunday.

"I needed three stitches. I feel good, though," Marson said. "It was a curveball that didn't break. It kind of backed up a little bit, so I was waiting for it to break. By the time I turned, it was too late. If you see it on video, it goes straight at my face. I tried to get my hand up or something, but it was just too late."

Cleveland Indians, Lou Marson