The Mariners are partnering with the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence to encourage young people to #ChooseRespect and practice healthy relationships. As part of that, we invite you to review the information below, and also participate in our special #ChooseRespect contest.
As part of our #ChooseRespect contest, we ask you to:
- Download and print our #ChooseRespect sign.
- Round up your squad and take a picture with it in front of a team banner or school sign to show you and your team #ChooseRespect.
- Post it on Twitter using the hashtag #ChooseRespect.
Two teams, one baseball and one softball, will be chosen at random and invited to a Mariners game this year, including watching batting practice on the field.
- Downloadable Scott Servais letter to coaches
- Downloadable Felix Hernandez and Kyle Seager letter to teams
- Download our #ChooseRespect poster
- Coaching Boys into Men: a prevention program that trains and motivates high school coaches to teach their young male athletes healthy relationship skills and that violence never equals strength.
- MVP (Mentors in Violence Prevention): a national organization that provides training programs to educate and empower people to prevent, interrupt, and respond to sexist abuse.
- LoveIsRespect.org - the National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline is anonymous, confidential, and available 24 hours a day via chat, phone, or text.
- Tools for coaches, parents, teachers, or friends to talk to young people about healthy relationships. Get the conversation started with these resources:
- How's Your Relationship? conversation cards - age appropriate questions and activities to start a conversation about what a healthy relationship looks like and feels like.
- Love Like This series - cartoons of some typical relationship situations that illustrate how to deal with them in a healthy, loving, and respectful way (as opposed to an abusive, controlling, or coercive way).
- ThatsNotCool.com - this site addresses problems between teens who are dating or hooking up, such as: constant and controlling texting; pressuring for nude pictures; and breaking into someone's email or social networking page.