Prado plans for DL stint to be brief
Marlins 3B already feeling better; club being cautious with Sierra
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Marlins third baseman Martin Prado understands he will open the season on the disabled list, but the veteran infielder is determined to make it a brief stint.
While running the bases on Tuesday, Prado experienced a minor setback in his recovery from right knee surgery. The 34-year-old felt some discomfort behind his knee, but on Thursday he said he's feeling much better.
After an injury-plagued 2017, when he appeared in just 37 games, Prado has been easing back into playing condition. He was anticipating getting at-bats in a Minor League game on Tuesday, but during baserunning drills, something grabbed and he was shut down.
:: Spring Training coverage presented by Camping World ::
"I am hoping that last year is over," Prado said. "I don't want to risk having another year like that. I'd rather take a couple of more days than taking the whole year again."
On Thursday morning, Prado insisted he is feeling better, which adds to his frustration of missing so much time since last year.
"[Missing many games] is just not an option for me," Prado said. "I'm making sure I can play every day, and just find that routine. I'm forgetting about all this stuff, I want to come to the field, do what I have to do and play baseball. That's it."
Most days, Prado is receiving 90 minutes of treatment just to get on the field. He notes that is a mental grind, and he feels he may have to just play through some pain.
"Everything you can think of, I've tried it," Prado said. "When I go out there and do baseball stuff, something hurts. It's mentally wearing you out. Maybe it's a mental thing."
With Prado out, Brian Anderson is taking over at third base.
"They're trying to build a culture," Prado said. "They're trying to show the guys how to play the game right. That's what I want to do. I want to be able to hit a ground ball to the six-hole and have a chance to beat it. If I don't, at least I [gave] my whole effort."
Outfielder Magneuris Sierra, the Marlins' No. 7 prospect according to MLB Pipeline, will be shut down from any baseball activities as he deals with a tight left hamstring.
Sierra tweaked his hamstring on Wednesday in a 5-1 win over the Mets at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium. The speedster was initially scheduled to be in the lineup on Thursday against the Mets in Port St. Lucie.
The Marlins are confident Sierra's hamstring issue is mild, and he won't participate in baseball activities for at least a few days. The Marlins won't rush the 21-year-old, who has been in the mix for a starting outfield spot.
Catcher Tomas Telis, who is out of options, remains the front-runner to make the Opening Day roster. On Thursday, he had an RBI single and threw a runner out trying to steal second.
The Marlins' primary catcher is J.T. Realmuto, who is dealing with a bruised lower back suffered Sunday against the Yankees.
Telis has impressed for most of Spring Training. The question has been his defense, but he's responded behind the plate.
"You know J.T. is your primary catcher, and what do you want from your backup guy with the staff?" manager Don Mattingly said. "What other things can he do? The fact he can play first adds to his value."
Chad Wallach and non-roster invitee John Holaday are the other catchers still in camp.
The Marlins return to Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Friday to take on the Cardinals at 1:05 p.m. ET on MLB.TV. The game can also be listened to via an exclusive webcast. Miami is the visiting team. Sandy Alcantara, the club's No. 3 prospect, faces his former club. Alcantara was acquired from St. Louis in the Marcell Ozuna trade. Michael Wacha is pitching for the Cardinals. Starlin Castro and Justin Bour are likely to be in the lineup for Miami.