Greene gives back with free Compton clinicReds prospect Hunter Greene began playing organized baseball at the MLB Youth Academy in Compton when he was 7 years old. He's been giving back to his community for nearly as long.
VideoMLB Youth Academy golf eventFormer All-Stars Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr. co-host a golf event to benefit the MLB Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
Compton academy gets boost from golf outingA number of former and current Major Leaguers took to the links to benefit the MLB Youth Academy in Compton, Calif. Former All-Stars Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr. co-hosted the event.
Compton academy celebrates National Signing DayMore than 500 student-athletes who have come through the MLB Youth Academies have gone on to participate in college baseball and softball programs. More than 160 have been drafted by MLB clubs, including last year's No. 2 overall pick Hunter Greene. Seven more student-athletes joined those ranks Saturday and were recognized at the Compton academy as they committed to play on the college level on National Signing Day.
VideoCompton celebrates signing daySeven student-athletes announce where they committed to play college baseball at the MLB Compton Youth Academy on National Signing Day
Youth Academy standouts reveal college picksA graduation day of sorts arrived Saturday for five student-athlete products of the MLB Youth Academy of New Orleans. Shortstop Will Spear and pitcher/first baseman Mike Mims of New Orleans-St. Augustine and Chalmette, La., right-hander Antoine Harris announced their college choices in front of a gathering of family, friends and a collection of younger Academy members during an hourlong event staged at the MLB Youth Academy at Wesley Barrow facility.
Astros RBI player pens 'Breaking Barriers' winnerAstros RBI softball player Kayla Robinson has been named a winner of the Jackie Robinson "Breaking Barriers" Essay Contest, Major League Baseball announced on Monday. Robinson's win marks the second consecutive year that a member of the Astros RBI program has been selected as a winner of the contest.
Youth Academy players meet with Dusty BakerTeam MLB, a 14-and-under group from Major League Baseball's Urban Youth Academy in Compton, Calif., fell to 2-2 in round-robin play and were eliminated from the National Youth Baseball Championships at Long Island on Thursday..
Breakthrough Series personal for former All-StarFormer Major Leaguer Eric Davis is serving as a coach at MLB's Breakthrough Series hosted at the Compton Urban Youth Academy, where the event took place for the first time 10 years ago. Davis was a part of the Compton academy's inception.
Breakthrough Series revisits Compton originsMajor League Baseball celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Breakthrough Series at the place where it began. In 2008, MLB's Youth Academy in Compton, Calif., hosted the first Breakthrough Series, a four-day event, blending elements of a showcase and an instructional league.
MLB dream within reach at Breakthrough SeriesFor several participants in this year's Breakthrough Series in Kansas City, the experience is not something new. But while they may have been through the program in the past, one thing makes this year more important: ties to last week's Major League Baseball Draft.
Read about MLB Youth Programs
About MLB Youth Academy
Major League Baseball's first Urban Youth Academy was founded in 2006 in Compton, California. As a not-for-profit organization, the UYA aims to set the standard for baseball and softball instruction, teach and educate in Urban America, and enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities. Major League Baseball has set out four facets to the Urban Youth Initiative:
• Grow the games of baseball and softball while cultivating diversity in all aspects of the game
• Make meaningful contributions to the development of urban communities
• Provide safe and organized recreational activities for urban youth
• Prepare urban high school players for college and professional baseball and softball programs
Our coaching staff consists of highly experienced baseball and softball personnel. We specialize in fundamental instruction by way of open workouts. Our workouts give members practical and theoretical training on the fundamentals of the game, while our educational component aids students in the classroom. We believe the skills learned in baseball and softball can be applied beyond the field, helping to shape a better community.
- 2006: MLB celebrates the grand opening of the first Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
- 2010: The Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy opens in Sylvester Turner Park in Houston, Tex.
- 2012: A new MLB Youth Academy opens in New Orleans, La. - the first in a non-MLB city.
- 2014: With the help of MLB, the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Washington D.C., and the Cincinnati P&G MLB Youth Academy Cincinnati, Ohio both open
- 2015: The outside field portion of the Philadelphia Phillies MLB Youth Academy officially opens for playing Philadelphia, Pa.
- 2016: The Phillies unveil the indoor portion of their Academy to complete the first two-site MLB Youth Academy. Additionally, MLB, DREAM and New York State announce plans to build a Youth Academy in Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx, N.Y.
- 2017: The soft-opening for both the Kansas City Royals MLB Urban Youth Academy in Kansas City, Mo., and the Texas Rangers MLB Youth Academy in West Dallas, Texas.
- In Progress: Academies are set to open in The Bronx, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and San Francisco, Calif.