VideoGirls play ball at GRIT tourneyAt MLB's GRIT Tournament in Texas, young girls who normally play baseball on boys teams get a chance to play the game with other girls
At GRIT tourney, opportunity for girls is keyThe inaugural MLB GRIT baseball tournament debuted on International Women's Day with two games at the Texas Rangers' ballpark featuring players from 21 states, Washington, D.C., Canada and Puerto Rico.
GRIT supports girls who play baseballMLB Grit, an inaugural high school invitational designed specifically for girls who play baseball, begins Friday at Globe Life Park Major League Baseball and USA Baseball are hosting more than 60 girls and young women for this special tournament designed to give girls a premier development experience.
McConaughey visits Rangers Youth AcademyMatthew McConaughey was on hand to meet with students who participate in the after-school program that's a product of a partnership between his just keep livin Foundation and the Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation.
VideoXimena Zamarron on MLB GRITRangers Youth Academy participant Ximena Zamarron talks about the importance of the inaugural MLB GRIT tournament for girls in baseball
Dawson excited to attend eponymous ClassicHall of Famer Andre Dawson was on site at the MLB New Orleans Youth Academy on Saturday, eager to mingle with the participants at the Andre Dawson Classic.
Diversity showcased at Andre Dawson ClassicSix of the eight coaches involved in the Andre Dawson Classic, named after the Hall of Famer and alum of tournament participant Florida A&M University, are African American.
Grandy sets example for baseball-playing cousinFamily ties are common in baseball. But it's notable that Calvin Rucker's second cousin is Curtis Granderson, a veteran of 15 Major League seasons who is, according to Rucker, "one of the best family members and friends I could have asked for.
VideoWatley debuts at youth clinicsNatasha Watley, Sahvanna Jaquish and Tamara Holmes participate in National Girls and Women in Sports Day Play Ball events in Compton, CA
Watley debuts in new role at clinic for kidsIn spite of some uncustomary Southern California rain in Saturday's early hours, Natasha Watley excelled in her first appearance as Major League Baseball's youth softball ambassador.
Sharon Robinson tours KC's youth academySharon Robinson walked past the entrance mural that includes a portrait of her father, Jackie Robinson, as a member of the Kansas City Monarchs. She moved on to the Don and Jean Wagner classroom, and she made subsequent stops at the athletic training room and the spacious indoor baseball diamond, with its bright green turf.
Read about MLB Youth Programs
About MLB Youth Academy
Major League Baseball's first Urban Youth Academy was founded in 2006 in Compton, California. As a not-for-profit organization, the UYA aims to set the standard for baseball and softball instruction, teach and educate in Urban America, and enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities. Major League Baseball has set out four facets to the Urban Youth Initiative:
• Grow the games of baseball and softball while cultivating diversity in all aspects of the game
• Make meaningful contributions to the development of urban communities
• Provide safe and organized recreational activities for urban youth
• Prepare urban high school players for college and professional baseball and softball programs
Our coaching staff consists of highly experienced baseball and softball personnel. We specialize in fundamental instruction by way of open workouts. Our workouts give members practical and theoretical training on the fundamentals of the game, while our educational component aids students in the classroom. We believe the skills learned in baseball and softball can be applied beyond the field, helping to shape a better community.
- 2006: MLB celebrates the grand opening of the first Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
- 2010: The Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy opens in Sylvester Turner Park in Houston, Tex.
- 2012: A new MLB Youth Academy opens in New Orleans, La. - the first in a non-MLB city.
- 2014: With the help of MLB, the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Washington D.C., and the Cincinnati P&G MLB Youth Academy Cincinnati, Ohio both open
- 2015: The outside field portion of the Philadelphia Phillies MLB Youth Academy officially opens for playing Philadelphia, Pa.
- 2016: The Phillies unveil the indoor portion of their Academy to complete the first two-site MLB Youth Academy. Additionally, MLB, DREAM and New York State announce plans to build a Youth Academy in Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx, N.Y.
- 2017: The soft-opening for both the Kansas City Royals MLB Urban Youth Academy in Kansas City, Mo., and the Texas Rangers MLB Youth Academy in West Dallas, Texas.
- In Progress: Academies are set to open in The Bronx, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and San Francisco, Calif.