Astros prospects Daz Cameron and Ronnie Dawson put up monster numbers to help lead Class A Quad Cities to a 20-3 win over Lansing on Wednesday night.The duo combined to go 6-for-9 with two triples, three home runs, four runs scored and eight RBIs on a night where everything went
Astros prospects Daz Cameron and Ronnie Dawson put up monster numbers to help lead Class A Quad Cities to a 20-3 win over Lansing on Wednesday night.
The duo combined to go 6-for-9 with two triples, three home runs, four runs scored and eight RBIs on a night where everything went right for the River Bandits' offense.
Dawson, the Astros' No. 20 prospect, led off the game with a triple and scored the first run in Quad Cities' four-run first. The River Bandits then blew the game open with a nine-run second, during which the duo hit all three of their homers.
Dawson, who finished 3-for-4 with five RBIs, hit both a two-run and three-run homer, while Cameron, the Astros' No. 9 prospect, added a two-run blast of his own.
MILB Video - Title: Dawson's second homer - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1626686483
The five-RBI night tied a career high for Dawson and the multihomer game was his second this season. Meanwhile, Cameron, who finished 3-for-5 with three RBIs, has started to collect RBIs at a rapid pace, having driven in 16 through 15 games this month.
Other top prospect performances from Wednesday's action:
• No. 25 overall prospect Jose De Leon (Rays No. 3) was perfect in a rehab start with the GCL Rays. De Leon threw three innings and made quick work of the opposition, retiring all nine batters he faced.
• No. 32 overall prospect Carson Kelly (Cardinals No. 2) put together his fifth three-hit game of the season in Triple-A Memphis' loss to Oklahoma City. Kelly, who is now hitting .283, also set a career high as he hit his 10th homer of the season in the second inning.
MILB Video - Title: Kelly's 10th homer - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1626449283
• No. 51 overall prospect Luis Ortiz (Brewers No. 4) was stuck with a no-decision despite throwing six scoreless frames for Double-A Biloxi. Ortiz was dominant throughout the game as he threw 54 of his 74 pitches for strikes, fanned six, yielded one hit and didn't issue a single walk.
MILB Video - Title: Ortiz's fifth strikeout - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1626782683
• No. 52 overall prospect Dominic Smith (Mets No. 2) came up big for Triple-A Las Vegas in a win over Fresno. Smith extended his hitting streak to 11 games and gave the 51s an early lead with a solo homer in the first and then came up clutch in the eighth. Fresno took a 2-1 lead in the top of the eighth, but that didn't last long as Smith, who finished 2-for-4 with four RBIs, cleared the bases with a three-run double in the bottom half of the frame.
MILB Video - Title: Watch: Smith clears bases with double - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1627243283
• No. 64 overall prospect Mike Soroka (Braves No. 4) struck out a 12, a career high, in another strong start for Double-A Mississippi. Soroka, 19, gave up two runs on two hits, putting his ERA at 2.38 through 18 starts. The right-hander has thrown the ball well all season, but is on an impressive run lately, having allowed two earned runs or less in seven of his past eight starts.
MILB Video - Title: Soroka's 12th K - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1626818983
• No. 74 overall prospect Tyler Beede (Giants No. 1) led Triple-A Sacramento to a win over El Paso with his second quality start in his past three outings. The 24-year-old righty threw 78 of his 109 pitches for strikes as he navigated through seven strong innings. Beede walked one, struck out five and gave up one unearned run on five hits.
• Blue Jays No. 22 prospect Jordan Romano bounced back from a rough outing and spun a gem for Class A Advanced Dunedin. After giving up seven earned runs in his last outing, Romano put up a string of zeros in a win over Clearwater. The 24-year-old struck out seven and gave up just three hits in five scoreless frames.
• Mets prospects Peter Alonso (No. 8) and Merandy Gonzalez (No. 13) put up big performances for Class A Advanced St. Lucie in a 5-0 win over Jupiter. Alonse continued his second half tear as he hit his seventh homer since the break after hitting just three prior, while Gonzalez threw seven scoreless. The 21-year-old has a 1.54 ERA across two levels this season and has held opponents to one earned run or less in 13 of his 16 starts.
• Reds No. 24 prospect Alex Blandino hit his second homer in as many nights for Triple-A Louisville, giving him eight on the season and two with the Bats. Blandino, who finished 3-for-5, hit a solo blast in the fourth inning and has three multihit efforts in his past four games, bringing his average to .270 through 20 games with Louisville.
• Twins No. 12 prospect LaMonte Wade hit his fifth homer of the season and set a couple of career highs in Double-A Chattanooga's win over Mobile. Wade set new marks in both hits and RBIs as he finished 4-for-5 with four RBIs -- all came via a grand slam in the eighth.
MILB Video - Title: Wade's grand slam - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1626381683
William Boor is a reporter for MLBPipeline.com. Follow him on Twitter at @wboor.