Mets promote prospect Nimmo to Triple-A
2011 first-round Draft pick hit .279 over 68 games for Double-A Binghamton
NEW YORK -- The Mets on Tuesday promoted outfielder Brandon Nimmo to Triple-A Las Vegas, pushing one of general manager Sandy Alderson's flagship Draft picks to the cusp of the big leagues.
The organization's first-round pick in 2011, Nimmo is now 22 years old -- three weeks younger than last year's top pick Michael Conforto, who is already in the big leagues. When drafted, Nimmo was an 18-year-old with almost no experience against high-level competition.
Nimmo has since blossomed into the Mets' top offensive prospect, batting .279 with two home runs, three triples and 12 doubles in 68 games at Double-A Binghamton.
"I still feel like I have a lot to learn," Nimmo said at this months' Futures Game in Cincinnati. "You are only a phone call away. You've got to realize that. But I have a ton of things that I need to work on, and most of them deal with consistency. I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm still trying to get better so that I can help this team win."
• Alderson suggested that he pursued former Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki more doggedly than the public knows, calling his conversations with Colorado's front office "more than an inquiry." Alderson added that he was "a little surprised" by the deal that sent Tulowitzki and LaTroy Hawkins to Toronto for Jose Reyes and a package of prospects.
• As for his own moves leading up to Friday's non-waiver Trade Deadline, Alderson would not comment on his club's reported pursuit of an outfielder. "We're still talking," the GM said. "I've been hesitant to make predictions in the past and continue to be hesitant to do so. There's still a few days to go."
• A visit to the doctor this week revealed reduced inflammation in Steven Matz's left lat muscle, Alderson said. But Matz is not ready to resume throwing, and he will revisit the doctor next week. The rookie left-hander has been on the disabled list since July 10.