NEW YORK -- Commissioner Bud Selig reiterated on Friday that Major League Baseball intends to extend the use of instant replay.
"We're now going to add it on trapped balls in the outfield and, as I call them, bullets [fair or foul] down the right- and left-field lines," Selig said during an interview on ESPN Radio in New York.
The expansion of replay was negotiated last year in collective bargaining between the owners and the players and memorialized in the new Basic Agreement. Since the agreement was reached, MLB officials have continued to talk with umpires, who have proposed additional measures.
Selig said at an annual meeting of the Baseball Writers' Association of America that he was currently having Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice president of labor relations and human resources, conduct a ballpark-by-ballpark assessment of the camera angle situation.
"We're going to expand instant replay when we have the technology to do it," Selig told the BBWAA during his annual luncheon question-and-answer session. "Among all the people I talk to, nobody is anxious to increase instant replay. And I concur with that. That doesn't mean we won't continue to review it. Baseball is a game of pace. We've got to be very sensitive and careful in the way we proceed."
Selig disagreed with the assertion that baseball has gone too far with replay.
"There are some people who believe that by going to the last two things, maybe I've gone too far, and I don't think so," Selig said.
There is no timetable for the implementation of any replay expansion, but Selig said in January that it would not happen anytime during the 2012 season or postseason.
"There continues to be fruitful talks about it, but they're definitely off the table for this year," Selig said then. "Really, I think that's what we've been saying all along."