Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

This article was printed from, originally published .

Read more news at:

Young pleads guilty to NYC charge

The legal case against former Tiger Delmon Young has been settled. Young pleaded guilty on Wednesday to a second-degree charge of aggravated harassment and was ordered to complete 10 days of community service.

Young was also ordered to complete a program at New York's Museum of Tolerance.

Manhattan district attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. announced the deal in a statement. If Young completes the program, the statement said, he'll be able to change his plea next May to second-degree harassment, rather than aggravated harassment.

"Dispositions for defendants charged with bias-related crimes need to be thoughtful and tailored toward healing both the defendant and the entire targeted community," Vance said. "That's why the restorative justice program that my office's Hate Crimes Unit developed with the Museum of Tolerance is so important. Defendants learn how their words and actions can have implications far beyond a single incident, and are taught about sensitivity and compassion."

The Museum of Tolerance, according to the statement, has a restorative justice program that includes a tour of the museum, participation in workshops, relevant videos, guided discussion and instruction from museum educators.

"Delmon clearly regrets what happened and took the necessary steps to put this issue behind him today," Young's attorney, Dan Ollen, said in a statement. "He has learned from this experience and will continue to do everything he can to improve himself as a person and player. He has agreed to complete ten days of community service and a one day program at the Museum of Tolerance in New York City as part of this process and, in six months' time, the charges against Delmon will be vacated and reduced to a simple violation of harassment, which is not a crime under New York Law."

The case stems from an April 27 incident outside the Tigers' team hotel in New York City, where Young reportedly started yelling at a homeless man and got into an altercation with a group of visitors. The Tigers had just arrived in town hours earlier in preparation for a three-game series against the Yankees.

Initial charges included a hate-crime designation that strengthened the potential penalties. Once Young was released from custody later that day, he faced the reaction of the public and the sport.

Young stayed away from the team during the entire series and was eventually suspended by Major League Baseball for seven days. As part of the discipline, he agreed to participate in an alcohol counseling program and an outreach program with the Jewish community in Detroit.

Young eventually turned his season around on the field, including another strong postseason, and the off-field issues didn't become a bigger story when the Tigers went back to New York to face the Yankees in the American League Championship Series. The damage to his image was more difficult to address.

Young is a free agent this winter. Tigers team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said last week he doesn't expect to bring Young back, in part because Victor Martinez's return from knee surgery will fill Young's spot at designated hitter.

Detroit Tigers, Delmon Young