As we announce the hottest-selling items at the MLB.com Shop this holiday season, let's also take a moment to welcome a blockbuster addition to our lineup of perfect gifts: 2014 MLB.TV Premium.
It's "big decision" time for Major League Baseball shoppers. Start there, giving the gift of live and on-demand games to a special someone or yourself. A yearly subscription to MLB.TV Premium costs $129.99 and provides immediate access to full-game archives of the 2013 regular season and postseason, then more than 200 Spring Training games live online, followed by every out-of-market regular-season game live or on-demand on more than 350 connected devices.
"I think it's awesome," said Braves closer and MLB.TV subscriber Craig Kimbrel, who tied for the Major League lead in saves, with 50, in 2013. "I actually use MLB.TV to go back and watch the game and watch mechanics, and to watch other games. If I want to go back and see how somebody did, you can pull it up and watch the entire game after it's already done, just on your phone. So I think it's really awesome."
More details will follow as Spring Training and Opening Day near, but there is no need to wait, as this is what millions of fans -- and players -- rely on each season. Purchasing MLB.TV Premium is a logical move, and naturally, there's no shipping or clock involved, so you can order it now or on Christmas Day -- up to you. That is the MLB.com Gift Guru's top pick at this point deep into the shopping season, and we have a lot more advice.
A four-day sale is under way at the MLB.com Shop, where you can take $20 off orders of $100 or more or $10 off orders of more than $50. Just as fans and players tell the story of why MLB.TV Premium is a wise gift, your peers will do the talking this time.
Following are 10 of the hottest-selling items at the Shop since Black Friday madness began.
1. A&E Home Video Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions DVD: Even though viewing habits change, long live the DVD, as this is the perennial Shop leader and you just substitute the champ.
2. Red Sox #GETBEARD T-Shirt: Mike Napoli re-signed, and by all accounts did not shave.
3. Yankees Authentic Collection On-Field 59FIFTY Game Cap with Mariano Rivera Patch: Even after Rivera's retirement, fans are cherishing the memories and refusing to turn the page.
4. Cardinals Replica 2013 Alternate Jersey: May we suggest personalizing it with No. 52 and "WACHA" on the back, picking up where you left off? Imagine what the 2013 postseason sensation might do in a full 2014 season.
5. There was such a run on the David Ortiz 2013 World Series Champions Bobblehead that it's out of stock. Alas, there is no limit to the Big Papi World Series MVP Collection, and Forever Collectibles has bobbleheads galore for active players and legends from all 30 clubs.
6. Yankees Women's Holiday PJ Set by Concepts Sport: You can still sleep well, even though Robinson Cano has left for the Northwest. Meanwhile, there's a Mariners version for those fans now dreaming of a postseason.
7. Tigers MLB Dangle Unforgettable Moment Charm: Pandora Jewelry is white-hot at the MLB.com Shop and in TV ads. This is the item most of you have ordered.
8. Giants Authentic Double Climate On-Field Jacket: Majestic Athletic makes these for on-field personnel to wear on cooler days, and there's a Triple Climate version if you want to add a piece for especially challenging climes.
9. Youth Replica Personalized Home Jersey: This is what kids want. That and snow days.
10. Andrew McCutchen Women's Player Replica Jersey: Based on MLB.com Shop sales since the Pirates finally returned to the playoffs, you are going to somehow see even more No. 22s around PNC Park next spring.
And don't forget these items, also ranking among the hottest sellers of the holiday shopping season: Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary Clean Up Adjustable Cap by '47 Brand for $21.99; Blue Jays Team Fill 9FIFTY A-Frame Strapback Adjustable Cap by New Era for $29.99; Nationals T-Shirt & Hooded Sweatshirt Set; and the A's 2013 Authentic Collection Team Favorite Playoff Hood for $54.99. That last one is automatically $10 cheaper thanks to the four-day sale.
The MLB.com Shop Virtual Catalog is a great starting point for more options. And when in doubt, or after the last shipping deadline has passed, remember that in addition to a MLB.TV Premium gift subscription, you can order MLB.com online gift certificates in any denomination via email.
Mark Newman is enterprise editor of MLB.com. Read and join other baseball fans on his MLB.com community blog.