Here's a Hot Stove riddle: Two starting pitchers who posted ERAs of 3.30 or below last season, two hitters who combined for 50 home runs, and a shortstop with a strong all-around game -- what do they have in common?
The answer is that they all remain free agents, with Spring Training lurking on the horizon. Sure, Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana, Nelson Cruz, Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew all have their flaws. But there is something else at work, too.
All five players are tied to Draft pick compensation, a situation MLB.com's Phil Rogers outlines in his latest column. The Frozen Five, as Rogers calls them, still figure to find multiyear deals, but the clock is ticking, and their options are dwindling.
In other news from around the league:
• MLB.com's Doug Miller takes stock of what remains on the market this offseason in The Week Ahead.
• The D-backs have come up empty so far in their search for a starting pitcher, watching Masahiro Tanaka and Matt Garza sign elsewhere, but team president and CEO Derrick Hall said the club will continue looking. Bronson Arroyo is one potential target for Arizona.
• The D-backs also reached a one-year deal with outfielder Gerardo Parra, avoiding arbitration.
• Will the Yankees sign Drew or reliever Fernando Rodney? MLB.com's Bryan Hoch tackles that question and more in his latest inbox.
• In his inbox, Indians beat writer Jordan Bastian examines the situation involving Justin Masterson, who is headed toward an arbitration hearing and is set to become a free agent after this coming season.
• Agent Scott Boras told FOXSports.com that he is "very close" to getting deals for relievers Oliver Perez and Francisco Rodriguez, utility man Jeff Baker and Korean pitcher Suk-min Yoon. Several teams reportedly have interest in Yoon, with the Orioles one of those making an offer, according to The Baltimore Sun.
• The Astros added another veteran arm to their staff, agreeing to a one-year deal with right-hander Jerome Williams.
• Monday's Minor League deals included a trio of relievers, with Kyle Farnsworth signing with the Mets, and Armando Galarraga and Daniel Bard with the Rangers.
Andrew Simon is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AndrewSimonMLB.