Marlins ready for revised transfer rule
NEW YORK -- Twice in the past week, the Marlins benefited from MLB's stricter interpretation of the transfer rule. They now are prepared to move forward with the revised version of the rule.
MLB on Friday announced a modification where the infielder doesn't have to maintain full possession of the ball if he had the ball squeezed in his glove for a catch beforehand.
"I'm glad it's this week and not last week," manager Mike Redmond quipped. "I think those plays for the Fish might have set them over the edge."
In the ninth inning on April 18, Giancarlo Stanton's walk-off grand slam against the Mariners came after replay overturned an out at third because of the transfer rule.
On Monday, in a 4-2 loss to the Braves, another challenge by Redmond overturned an out at second base. Miami got the break, but didn't capitalize.
"We had those two plays happen within the last week," Redmond said. "So am I surprised? No, I'm not surprised.
"You're still kind of wondering how it's going to be. It seems like there is still some confusion. We'll see now exactly what a catch is."
Redmond still expects to challenge questionable transfer plays.
"I don't think it's going to affect how we [challenge]," the manager said. "It's in the interpretation. Before, when we saw that play throughout baseball, we saw the transfer play was going to be an issue.
"How do you not go out there and review that play when you see how it is interpreted? So any time that play happens, you have to go out there and review it."