Pipeline Preview: Meyer, Webster duel; Lee returns
Though neither Alex Meyer nor Allen Webster has started the season in peak form, the first career meeting of the two right-handers ranked on MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects list is still the highlight of Wednesday's Minor League schedule. Meyer (No. 27) and Webster (No. 44) face off as Triple-A Rochester continues its series at Pawtucket. The game can be seen on MiLB.TV at 6:15 p.m. ET.
Meyer, the Twins' No. 3 prospect, is coming off a forgettable start Friday at Syracuse. He gave up five runs on five hits and four walks in 3 2/3 innings. Though his ERA is 5.14, a 13-to-5 strikeout to walk ratio in 14 innings is an encouraging sign for the tall right-hander.
Webster, the Red Sox's No. 3 prospect, has struggled with his command throughout his career, and it has been a problem again early this season. In 20 innings, he has walked 12 batters and struck out 11.
Other pitchers ranked in the Top 100 who are scheduled to start Wednesday include Jon Gray (No. 14), Mark Appel (No. 16), Aaron Sanchez (No. 22), Jesse Biddle (No. 51) and Robbie Ray (No. 95). Fans can watch Sanchez, Biddle and Ray on MiLB.TV.
Elsewhere, shortstop Hak-Ju Lee is ready to return to the lineup for Triple-A Durham after missing a little over a year. He tore ligaments in his left knee in a collision at second base last April and missed the rest of the season as he recovered from surgery. He also suffered a strained calf in Spring Training, delaying his return by three more weeks. Now, however, he is fully healthy and was activated from the disabled list Tuesday, though he did not appear in the Bulls' 8-4 victory.
Lee, the Rays' No. 2 prospect and No. 82 overall, started at shortstop, batting ninth, Wednesday at Charlotte in a game that can be seen on MiLB.TV at 11:05 a.m.
Top prospect probables
- Tyler Anderson (Rockies No. 10), Tulsa at Arkansas
- Mark Appel (Astros No. 2), Lancaster at Inland Empire
- Alec Asher (Rangers No. 11), Frisco vs. San Antonio
- Jesse Biddle (Phillies No. 2), Reading vs. Richmond
- Corey Black (Cubs No. 16), Tennessee at Birmingham
- Clayton Blackburn (Giants No. 8), Richmond at Reading
- Jamie Callahan (Red Sox No. 19) Greenville vs. Asheville
- Adonys Cardona (Blue Jays No. 20), Lansing vs. Lake County
- Dylan Covey (A's No. 13), Beloit at Kane County
- Tyler Danish (White Sox No. 5), Kannapolis at West Virginia
- Zachary Davies (Orioles No. 14), Bowie vs. Erie
- J.R. Graham (Braves No. 6), Mississippi at Montgomery
- Jon Gray (Rockies No. 1), Tulsa at Arkansas
- Joan Gregorio (Giants No. 12), San Jose vs. Visalia
- Ismael Guillon (Reds No. 10), Dayton at South Bend
- Nate Karns (Rays No. 8), Durham at Charlotte
- Nick Kingham (Pirates No. 8), Altoona vs. Harrisburg
- Jorge Lopez (Brewers No. 20), Brevard County at Tampa
- Michael Lorenzen (Reds No. 5), Pensacola at Jacksonville
- Alex Meyer (Twins No. 3), Rochester at Pawtucket
- Matt Purke (Nationals No. 6), Harrisburg at Altoona
- Robbie Ray (Tigers No. 2), Indianapolis at Toledo
- Aaron Sanchez (Blue Jays No. 1), New Hampshire at New Britain
- Sam Selman (Royals No. 13), Northwest Arkansas vs. Springfield
- Tyler Skulina (Cubs No. 18), Kane County vs. Beloit
- Jose Urena (Marlins No. 8), Jacksonville vs. Pensacola
- Austin Voth (Nationals No. 16), Hagerstown at Augusta
- Allen Webster (Red Sox No. 3), Pawtucket vs. Rochester
- Gabriel Ynoa (Mets No. 15), St. Lucie at Palm Beach