The Pirates return to the Major League Baseball Postseason for the second consecutive year and the 16th time in team history. The Pirates will host National League West Division runner-up, the San Francisco Giants for a one-game Wild Card, with the winner moving on to play the Washington Nationals in a five-game Division Series beginning on Friday.
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 -- Pittsburgh Pirates Pride Day
- Rally in Market Square: At noon all fans are invited to Pittsburgh's Market Square for a special Pirates Playoff Rally hosted by the Pittsburgh Pirates, PNC Bank, Allegheny County and the City of Pittsburgh. There will be music beginning at 11:30 a.m. along with Pirates giveaways including special rally towels courtesy of Highmark and Trib Total Media. There will also be an appearance by the Pirate Parrot, the Pierogies, the Bucco Brigade and Pirates executives.
- Pirates Pride: The County and the City of Pittsburgh have also declared Tuesday "Pittsburgh Pirates Pride Day" and are encouraging everyone to show their support for our Buccos by donning black and gold Pirates gear.
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 -- Pittsburgh Pirates vs. San Francisco Giants (8:07 p.m.)
2014 MLB National League Wild Card Game, presented by Budweiser, the official beer sponsor of MLB
- "Blackout": A Record Number of Fans Expected to Black Out PNC Park in support of the Pirates as part of the PNC Blackout.
- Fun on Federal Street: Federal Street will be closed starting at 10 a.m. As with every home game throughout the season, the Clemente Bridge and Federal Street will be closed and used for pedestrian traffic only. Starting at 4:30 p.m. there will be activities on Federal Street including music by a Pittsburgh-based disc jockey, food trucks, the Budweiser Bar and more.
- Food Trucks: Nakama, BRGR and Chickie's and Pete's food trucks will be on Federal Street pregame serving local favorites.
- CBS on Federal: Four stations from Pirates partners CBS Radio will broadcast live from Federal Street. Stations broadcasting live outside PNC include Pirates flagship 93.7 The Fan, 1020 AM KDKA, Star 100.7 and Y108.
- Gates Open: The PNC Park Riverwalk will open at 5:30 p.m. and PNC Park gates will open to all fans at 6 p.m.
- Giveaway: All fans entering the park will receive a black Pirates Postseason rally towel, courtesy of Highmark, Allegheny Health Network and Trib Total Media.
- Pregame Ceremony Begins at 7:30 p.m.
o First Pitch: The ceremonial first pitch will be thrown by former Pirates right-hander and 1979 World Series Champion Kent Tekulve. Tekulve threw the final pitch of the 1979 World Series when the Pirates defeated the Baltimore Orioles in seven games.
o Armed Services Representative: Sergeant Tiara D. Pompay of the United States Army will represent the U.S. Armed Forces on the field during the evening's pregame ceremonies. Sergeant Pompay is a Pittsburgh native who served in Afghanistan and is currently stationed in South Korea.
o National Anthem: The National Anthem will be performed by local musician Maddie Georgi.
Television: Fans can watch the National League Wild Card Game at PNC Park on ESPN.
Radio: Fans can tune in to the National League Wild Card Game at PNC Park on 93.7 The Fan (93.7 FM) and the Pirates Radio Network.
Around the Park
Open to all fans starting at 4:30 p.m., Rivertowne Brewing Hall of Fame Club boasts a full service food menu and full bar with great selections of local & national craft beers. The Rivertowne Brewing Hall of Fame Club continues full service throughout the entirety of the game and up to two hours after the game. In addition to the restaurant, Aramark will add new concepts and specialty food locations throughout the ballpark showcasing local menus and wood fired pizza.
New for the 2014 Postseason is the Rivertowne Brewing Home Game Pub featuring Pittsburgh BBQ at PNC Park, located off of West General Robinson near the Home Plate Rotunda entrance. Pittsburgh BBQ will feature Pulled Sliders with your choice of either pulled pork or pulled chicken or a combination of the two. The Rivertowne Home Game Pub will offer a full service bar featuring Rivertowne beer selections in cans and on draft along with complementary peanuts and popcorn.
Returning this post-season is Skull Island, but in a new location! Opening at 5:30 p.m., Skull Island will be located in the Smorgasburgh area behind section 107. This destination will feature a rotating menu from Spoon, Wood Fired Pizza and Pittsburgh BBQ. There will be a full service bar with high end liquor and Rivertowne Brewing beer selections. Skull Island Bar will feature specialty drinks such as the Jolly Roger, Rum Spiced Sangria, and Apple Cider Margaritas. A steel drum band will provide live entertainment before the game and guests will be able to watch the game while enjoying the island atmosphere.
Along with offerings from Skull Island, Aramark will set up Chef-Attended Action Stations in Sections 101, 108, & 113.
Section 101 will offer one of the most popular offerings from this season -- a Carved Turkey Sandwich. Oven roasted carved turkey and placed on a fresh Kaiser roll topped with Swiss cheese and served with your choice of herb mayonnaise or honey mustard served with house made kettle chips.
Section 108 will feature two new sandwiches. A half pound chargrilled burger topped with sliced cheddar cheese, arugula, roasted red and yellow peppers, and chipotle mayo. Also featured is a grilled chicken bacon ranch sandwich topped with smoked Gouda, spinach, apple wood smoked bacon, and home-made ranch spread.
Section 113 will offer the other most popular offering from this season -- a Stacked Ham Sandwich. Oven baked carved ham stacked high on a fresh Kaiser roll topped with Swiss cheese and your choice of honey or spicy brown mustard served with house made kettle chips.
Around the Park- Premium Seating
Levy will be celebrating "Buctober" by featuring Oktoberfest style food and craft beer specials throughout the Pittsburgh Baseball Club Level, Lexus Club and PNC Park Luxury Suites.
Sample items served on the Chef's Table in the Lexus Club will feature flavors from October-style craft beers.
- Chef Carved Bone In "Tomahawk" Rib Eyes with a stout infused demi-glace
- Lobster Macaroni & Cheese with a Hefeweizen cheese sauce
- Horseradish Roasted Fall Vegetable Bake
- Hacker Pschorr Beer Can Chicken
- Frisee ,baby heirloom tomatoes in a spicy siricha glaze
October style local craft beers will be featured on the Levy menu.
Pittsburgh Baseball Club Level Concessions Specials:
· Bavarian Soft Pretzel Bites with Leinenkugel Octoberfest cheese sauce and spicy mustard.
· Foot long kielbasa with housemade sauerkraut paired with a selection of local craft beers.
Special Desserts Featured on the Suite Level Levy Dessert Cart include:
· Pumpkin Mousse Sweet Shots
· Black and Gold Macaroons
· Fall Apple Cobblers with Cinnamon Whipped Cream
Parking lots and garages on the North Shore will open at 4 p.m. for event parking.
Fans not holding pre-sold parking passes and arriving after 7 p.m., are encouraged to park in downtown. Parking in the Golden Triangle will be available for just $5 in the (7) of the Parking Authority Garages. Check for space availability via iPhone (ParkPGH); Mobile (m.parkpgh.org); SMS/Text and Voice (412-423-8980).
Fans are encouraged to ride the FREE "T" from the four Golden Triangle stations to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park's Trib-Total Media Home Plate Gate.
Parking is also available at:
- Allegheny Center Garage
- Station Square Gateway Clipper Shuttles - The Gateway Clipper will take fans directly to PNC Park from this location. Children six-years-old and under are free.
Also, fans who prefer to park west of Allegheny Avenue, can ride the "T" for free from the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park. Parking includes:
- Carnegie Science Lots
- Ridge Avenue Lots
- For Fans Over 21 -- Rivers Casino Garage - Due to Rivers Casino policy, everyone in the vehicle must be 21 years or older to enter the garage.
Gate Policy Reminders
The Pirates ask that all fans follow some simple tips to ensure easy entrance to the ballpark:
- Please allow for additional time when coming to the game.
- Please minimize all unnecessary bags and metal objects when coming into the ballpark.
- When approaching the security screener, please hold keys, cell phones and any other metal objects out of pockets and in your hands.
Each Guest is permitted to bring one bag into the ballpark. In conjunction with MLB, PNC Park regulations provide that bags, purses, fanny packs and backpacks 16x16x8-inch or smaller are permitted. All bags are subject to search upon entry and within the ballpark. Soft-sided coolers and soft-sided briefcases are permitted. Hard-sided coolers and briefcases, ice packs and cooler inserts are NOT permitted. For the convenience of those Guests not carrying purses, fanny packs and bags into the ballpark, express lanes are offered at each gate.
Guests are permitted to bring bottled water and food that may fit into a 16x16x8-inch soft-sided bag into the ballpark. Water bottles should not exceed 24 ounces in size, and must be clear, plastic, sealed and disposable. Children's juice boxes and items necessary for medical purposes are permitted. Alcoholic beverages, carbonated beverages, sports drinks, cans, glass bottles and thermoses are not allowed.
Hazardous or disruptive items cannot be brought into the ballpark. Samples of items that are not permitted include boom boxes, inflatable balls, balloons, Frisbee discs, laser pointers, fireworks, footballs and weapons of any kind. The Pirates reserve the right to inspect and remove any packages and/or containers.
Pirates Charities 50/50 Raffles
The Pirates Charities 50/50 Raffle that took place throughout the season, will also take place during the National League Wild Card. Raffle ticket prices are three (3) tickets for $5, 10 tickets for $10 and 40 tickets for $20 with all proceeds benefiting Pirates Charities. Raffle ticket sales close after the last out in the sixth inning. The winning number will be drawn and announced in the 8th inning and the winner will receive 50 percent of the total pot. Winning numbers are also posted on www.pirates.com/5050raffle within three business days.
Welcome to Buctober
The Pirates have a dedicated fan page on pirates.com/buctober to celebrate the team's postseason berth. The team will be adding fan content throughout October, including pictures and interviews generated by Pirates fans.
Postseason Tickets and Information
The Pirates are making postseason tickets available to as many fans as possible through special online-only presale opportunities. The registration process allows all fans an equal chance for purchasing tickets to potential games at PNC Park. Fans must complete and submit the form on pirates.com/postseason to be registered for a chance to purchase tickets to potential 2014 postseason games at PNC Park prior to general public on-sale. Fans need to register just once for the opportunity to purchase tickets to all rounds of the 2014 postseason, including the potential National League Division Series, Championship Series and World Series games. For complete information, deadlines and drawing dates visit pirates.com/postseason.
The Hunt Auctions kiosk, specializing in sports memorabilia, including game-used and authenticated items, is located behind section 125 on the main concourse at PNC Park. Unique items are available each homestand and fans will have the opportunity to purchase items at the kiosk or at pirates.com/authentics.