DENVER -- Rockies owner, chairman and chief executive officer Dick Monfort said MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred told him the Commissioner's Office is in an information-gathering mode regarding shortstop Jose Reyes.Manfred is expected to rule soon under the MLB and MLB Players Association joint policy on domestic violence and other issues
DENVER -- Rockies owner, chairman and chief executive officer Dick Monfort said MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred told him the Commissioner's Office is in an information-gathering mode regarding shortstop Jose Reyes.
Manfred is expected to rule soon under the MLB and MLB Players Association joint policy on domestic violence and other issues when it comes to Reyes, who was charged in a domestic case involving his wife on Oct. 31. However, the charges were dropped when Reyes' wife refused to cooperate. Manfred has many options, including a suspension. Reyes is currently on paid leave and is collecting on his $22 million salary for 2016.
Under the policy, the Rockies have no role in Manfred's decision. The club also can't issue its own action unless cleared by MLB, after the MLB ruling. Manfred told reporters earlier this week it would be "days, as opposed to weeks" before he rules, and Monfort said he was not given a timetable.
"I did talk to him [Manfred] yesterday -- I was in New York and I think they're getting some information," Monfort said. "I think the goal was to have the trial, get the information, do their own analysis of it, and then come down with the decision. Since there wasn't any trial, it makes it a little more difficult.
"The No. 1 thing they want to do is be fair. They want to be fair to everybody. That means to all our fans, all of us who have a little bit of a problem with whatever happened. But you've got to be fair, and they want to do it right. I'd like to know exactly what happened. It's easy for us all to speculate on whatever happened. But until we really know, it's hard. You're dealing with a guy's life, too. But if he did something wrong, he should pay for it."
The Rockies received Reyes, who is owed a total of $48 million in salary and a potential buyout through next year, in a trade on July 27 with the Blue Jays that sent shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and pitcher LaTroy Hawkins to Toronto. Colorado received three pitchers -- righty reliever Miguel Castro, plus former top Draft pick Jeff Hoffman and prospect Jesus Tinoco.
Shortstop Trevor Story's outstanding start complicates the situation once Reyes becomes available to the Rockies. Additionally, backup middle infielder Cristhian Adames is out of Minor League options.
"We knew when we made the trade -- the only reason Toronto gave up those three pitchers was because we took an equal salary back from them," Monfort said. "We knew that going in. We knew that was what we were going to deal with. Now, because of the incidents that happened, it makes it a little more difficult. But we're going to work our way through it."
Thomas Harding is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @harding_at_mlb, listen to podcasts and** like his Facebook page**.