Bill Center, longtime sportswriter for U-T San Diego, is an employee of the Padres.Yangervis Solarte was 0-for-10 in his first three games after returning on July 30 from his 33-game stay on the disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle.But the versatile infielder's offense has been picking up steadily
Bill Center, longtime sportswriter for U-T San Diego, is an employee of the Padres.
Yangervis Solarte was 0-for-10 in his first three games after returning on July 30 from his 33-game stay on the disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle.
But the versatile infielder's offense has been picking up steadily since, capped by Tuesday night's record-setting game at St. Louis.
Solarte was 3-for-5 with two doubles, his 14th homer and a career-high six RBIs in the Padres' 12-4 win.
Since Aug. 4, Solarte -- who has also started games at third, second and shortstop -- is 21-for-65 (.323) with four doubles, four home runs, 13 RBIs and nine runs scored. He has a .348 on-base percentage and a .569 slugging percentage for a .917 OPS.
He has raised his batting average from .258 to .270.
• The Padres scored 12 runs for the third time this season in Tuesday night's 12-4 win at St. Louis. The 12 runs were also the most ever scored by the Padres at Busch Stadium. The win also ended a six-game losing streak to the Cardinals. Before Tuesday night, the Padres were 1-19 this season when allowing three or more homers in a game.
• 2B Carlos Asuaje has hit safely in six of the last seven games with three multi-hit games. He is 9-for-25 (.360) during the run with three walks and a hit by pitch for a .448 on-base percentage.
• RHP Craig Stammen was credited with the win Tuesday night. It was his first win since Aug. 24, 2014 ... a span of 1,094 days. He got the win for retiring the only batter he faced on two pitches. Over his last 19 appearances, Stammen has allowed three runs on 12 hits and nine walks with 14 strikeouts in 19 2/3 innings for an ERA of 1.37.
• C Austin Hedges hit a three-run homer Tuesday night, marking his seventh game this season with three or more RBIs. Seven of Hedges' 16 homers this season have come with two strikes, the second-highest total in the Major Leagues.
• OF Matthew Szczur had a two-run pinch-hit single Tuesday, ending an 0-for-16 drought dating back to July 25. Szczur was activated earlier Tuesday from the Family Leave list.