Stats of the Day: Unstoppable Blue Jays hit 11
Here are five interesting items from around the big leagues on Sunday:
• The Blue Jays defeated the Red Sox, 13-5, to tie the franchise record with their 11th straight win. Previous 11-game streaks were crafted in 1987, 1998 and 2013. The 13 runs marked the third time during the winning streak that the club reached double-digits in runs. Overall, the 11-game run has seen the team average 8.0 runs per game.
• In Milwaukee, Max Scherzer fanned 16 with one walk in a one-hit shutout in the Nationals' 4-0 win. The right-hander collected the second-most strikeouts for an Expos/Nationals pitcher, falling two shy of Bill Gullickson's record set on Sept. 10, 1980. Scherzer became the 23rd Expos/Nationals pitcher to hurl a one-hit shutout, and the first to do it since Gio Gonzalez on Sept. 9, 2013. The previous high mark for strikeouts in a one-hit shutout by an Expos/Nats pitcher was Bill Stoneman's 14 on June 16, 1971.
• Sonny Gray allowed one unearned run in 7 2/3 innings and picked up his eighth victory as the A's beat the Angels, 8-1. Gray's ERA now stands at 1.60. In the DH-era, there have been seven American League pitchers to have at least 14 starts and an ERA no higher than 1.60 through their teams' first 65 games: Gaylord Perry in 1974, Jim Palmer in 1975, Ron Guidry in 1978, Rick Honeycutt in 1983, Scott Erickson in 1991, Dan Haren in 2007 and Gray.
• In a 2-1, 11-inning loss to the Cubs, Billy Hamilton tied a Reds record with five steals. Hamilton -- who tied Ryan Freel (July 27, 2005) -- is now 31-for-35 on the season in attempts (88.6 percent). In 2014, he was 56-for-79 (70.9 percent).
• Rockies left-hander Jorge De La Rosa went seven innings in a 4-1 win over the Marlins. He allowed one run and recorded the W to become the franchise's all-time leader with 73 career victories, surpassing Aaron Cook.
Milestone watch for Monday
• Edinson Volquez is five strikeouts shy of reaching 1,000 for his career. There have been 19 pitchers born in the Dominican Republic to reach 1,000.