Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

Archer, Myers OK after early exits in Arizona

PHOENIX -- Two of the Rays' young stars had to leave Wednesday's game, but at the end of the night, Chris Archer and Wil Myers both appeared to be OK.

Rays starter Archer left the game in the second inning due to right forearm tightness. Myers left the game for a pinch-hitter in the seventh due to symptoms of asthma. Despite the scares, Archer appears as though he'll be able to make his next start and Myers should be ready to play Friday night when the Rays open a series at Dodger Stadium.

Archer had two outs in the second inning and a 2-1 count against the D-backs' Didi Gregorius when catcher Jose Molina saw something that prompted him to make a mound visit.

"Molina, being the vet that he is, noticed that I made a little grimace [after making a pitch]," Archer said. "He came out and asked me what's going on because he just knows my mannerisms on the mound. As soon as I said forearm tightness, he said, 'All right, I'm going to call Joe [Maddon] out here.' Joe came out and when he came out, it was the same thing. It was like, you're done, immediately."

The Rays manager does not take such warnings lightly.

"Forearm tightness," Maddon said. "Whenever a young pitcher tells you that, I'm not going to mess around. He's going to be fine. We believe he's going to make his next start. In that moment, I am not going to jeopardize his career or our future either. Archie did not deny [there was a problem] when I went out there. He fessed up. ... Once there was a little bit of an issue with his arm, he was out."

Archer returned to the clubhouse where he was examined.

"I felt it on a pitch, and a couple of pitches later I felt the same thing, nothing serious," Archer said. "All the tests came back negative, meaning nothing's going on. We just want to be cautious. It's just a little tight. The extra day until my next start will be much needed. And I'm looking forward to getting back out there and make my next start."


The Rays had won seven of Archer's past eight starts. In addition, he was named American League Pitcher of the Month and AL Rookie of the Month for July after he went 4-0 with a 0.73 ERA.

The biggest head-scratcher came during a critical moment with two out in the seventh and Myers due to bat with the potential tying and winning runs in scoring position. But instead of having Myers hit, Maddon sent Sam Fuld to the plate. Fuld came through with a two-run single, but nobody could figure out the move until the news came that Myers had to leave the game after experiencing symptoms of asthma.

Myers had experienced similar symptoms in the past when playing in the Arizona Fall League.

"It's just something I deal with when I'm in higher elevations, like Arizona with the thinner air, which I'm not used to," Myers said.

Myers allowed that he began experiencing problems as early as the first inning but was able to remain in the game while making his first-ever Major League start in center field.

"I think the thing that really set it off was having to run that ball down in the gap then having to run out that infield single right after that to lead off that inning," said Myers of his work in the sixth. "That's when I started feeling it. My chest started hurting."

A doctor checked Myers' blood pressure and his breathing.

"But as far as treatment, it's more so just laying down," Myers said. "I think it's more just not doing anything. Laying down and catching my breath. The dizziness was what was concerning for me to continue playing."

When asked how he felt, Myers told reporters: "I'm fine now."

Bill Chastain is a reporter for
Read More: Tampa Bay Rays, Wil Myers, Chris Archer