Tuesday's Pipeline Preview: Where to watch prospects
Tuesday's slate of Minor League games is highlighted by the start of a four-game series between Nashville and Memphis. The Brewers' and Cardinals' Triple-A affiliates will square off this week in Nashville, starting with Tuesday night's game, which can be seen on MiLB.TV.
Right-hander Jimmy Nelson, the Brewers' No. 1 prospect, is scheduled to start for the Sounds and will face left-hander Tim Cooney, the Cardinals No. 10 prospect. The Redbirds' offense is highlighted by their prospect-rich outfield. Oscar Taveras, ranked No. 3 on MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects list, is joined by Stephen Piscotty (No. 96) and Randal Grichuk (ranked No. 12 on the Cardinals' list).
Two other Triple-A pitchers ranked in the Top 100 are scheduled to start in games that will be shown on MiLB.TV today. Orioles No. 2 prospect Kevin Gausman will get the ball for Norfolk and Astros No. 6 prospect Mike Foltynewicz will start for Oklahoma City. Blue Jays No. 2 prospect Marcus Stroman was slated to face Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the first game of a doubleheader in Buffalo, but that twin-bill was postponed due to rain and cold weather.
Other notable Minor League games include the opening game of a four-game series between El Paso and Albuquerque, the prospect-laden Triple-A affiliates of the Padres and Dodgers, and a matchup of 20-year-old right-handers Edwin Diaz and Sal Romano in Class A Dayton. Diaz is the Mariners' No. 4 prospect and Romano ranks No. 15 on the Reds' list. Both games can be seen on MiLB.TV.
Also worth watching is Rangers No. 5 prospect Joey Gallo (No. 90 overall). The reigning Minor League home run champion (he hit 40 in 2013) has gone deep five times in his past five games, driving in 10 runs over that span. Gallo and the Myrtle Beach Pelicans -- winners of seven straight -- host the Nationals' Class A Advanced affiliate Potomac Nationals at 7:05 p.m. ET.
Tuesday's prospect probables
- Cody Anderson (Indians No. 4), Akron vs. Trenton
- Zachary Bird (Dodgers No. 13), Great Lakes at Beloit
- Ty Blach (Giants No. 6), Richmond vs. Reading
- Paul Blackburn (Cubs No. 15), Kane County at Bowling Green
- Jamie Callahan (Red Sox No. 19), Greenville vs. Charleston
- Adam Conley (Marlins No. 5), New Orleans at Iowa
- Tim Cooney (Cardinals No. 10), Memphis at Nashville
- Daniel Corcino (Reds No. 11), Pensacola vs. Montgomery
- Jacob deGrom (Mets No. 13), Las Vegas at Reno
- Edwin Diaz (Mariners No. 4), Clinton at Dayton
- Mike Foltynewicz (Astros No. 6), Oklahoma City at Colorado Springs
- Drew Gagnon (Brewers No. 17), Huntsville at Mississippi
- Kevin Gausman (Orioles No. 1), Norfolk at Gwinnett
- Andrew Heaney (Marlins No. 1), Jacksonville at Chattanooga
- Kyle Hendricks (Cubs No. 16), Iowa vs. New Orleans
- Jason Hursh (Braves No. 3), Mississippi vs. Huntsville
- Jairo Labourt (Blue Jays No. 12), Lansing at Wisconsin
- Matt Magill (Dodgers No. 12), Albuquerque vs. El Paso
- Jimmy Nelson (Brewers No. 1), Nashville vs. Memphis
- Aaron Northcraft (Braves No. 16), Mississippi vs. Huntsville
- Tyler Pike (Mariners No. 9), High Desert vs. Lancaster
- Sal Romano (Reds No. 15), Dayton vs. Clinton
- Felipe Rivero (Nationals No. 18), Harrisburg vs. Altoona
- Luis Severino (Yankees No. 10), Charleston at Greenville
- Austin Voth (Nationals No. 16), Hagerstown at Delmarva
- Bobby Wahl (A's No. 7), Beloit vs. Great Lakes
- Taijuan Walker (Mariners No. 1), Tacoma vs. Salt Lake City