MINNEAPOLIS -- With the 2018 MLB Draft two days away, Twins chief baseball officer Derek Falvey said Saturday the club has been busy preparing for possible scenarios for their first pick, which comes in at No. 20 overall after having the No. 1 overall selection last year.Because the Twins are
MINNEAPOLIS -- With the 2018 MLB Draft two days away, Twins chief baseball officer Derek Falvey said Saturday the club has been busy preparing for possible scenarios for their first pick, which comes in at No. 20 overall after having the No. 1 overall selection last year.
Because the Twins are picking later in the Draft this year, Falvey said he hasn't seen any prospects in person, but has looked at video of more than 300 prospects. And at least eight people in the organization saw each of the club's top 150 players on their board.
This year, the Twins have a new technology with a digital draft board similar to the one the Vikings added last year. It's allowed them to run simulated mock drafts so they discuss what they'd do if certain players were still on the board when pick No. 20 comes around.
• MLB Draft coverage
"If I was comparing Draft classes, I'd say this one seems a little deeper up top with the college crop, but it becomes less clear once you get to the teens range because it's mostly the high school crop," Falvey said. "This year, compared to previous years, it seems a little less certain what will be there at 20. We'll start to get there by Monday once we start to hear things from different rooms."
Falvey added that the club has no preference for a position player or a pitcher for that first selection, and they'll simply pick whoever is the best remaining player on their board.
"The way we look at it is we have to stack 20 names because the worst-case scenario is the 1-19 we have is the 1-19 the other teams have," Falvey said. "But it's atypical you get the 20th guy. You're probably going to get somebody higher than that. We don't look at need. We just get the best available player."
After the No. 20 pick, the Twins have another selection on Monday with the No. 59 overall selection in the second round. But Minnesota traded the No. 74 pick to the Padres as part of the trade that sent right-hander Phil Hughes to San Diego. The Twins essentially received $7.25 million from the Padres for the pick, which they can use to spend on Major League talent instead of investing in the Draft.
"It's never easy to give up Draft picks," Falvey said. "But it's part of the equation. Looking for where we can best align assets and value. This was an opportunity to do that."
• Twins first baseman Joe Mauer is making better progress with his concussion-like symptoms and was able to take in a second straight game from the dugout on Friday. He hit in the cages before Saturday's game and is scheduled to hit on the field on Sunday. But Twins manager Paul Molitor said Mauer won't be activated from the 10-day disabled list Sunday.
• Twins catcher Jason Castro, who underwent season-ending left knee surgery on May 15, returned to Target Field on Saturday, as he'll do his rehab at the ballpark to remain around the medical staff and his teammates. Castro underwent an operation to repair a torn meniscus and is expected to be able to go through a normal offseason leading up to next season.
Rhett Bollinger has covered the Twins for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @RhettBollinger and Facebook.