ATLANTA -- The Mets made a flurry of roster moves before Game 1 of Monday's doubleheader against the Braves, with reliever AJ Ramos (right shoulder strain) and infielder Wilmer Flores (sore lower back) going on the disabled list.Right-hander Hansel Robles was activated from the DL, as was catcher Kevin Plawecki.
ATLANTA -- The Mets made a flurry of roster moves before Game 1 of Monday's doubleheader against the Braves, with reliever AJ Ramos (right shoulder strain) and infielder Wilmer Flores (sore lower back) going on the disabled list.
Right-hander Hansel Robles was activated from the DL, as was catcher Kevin Plawecki. Robles allowed one run over 2 2/3 innings in his three rehab games with Triple-A Las Vegas.
In addition, right-hander Gerson Bautista was added as the 26th man on the Mets' roster for the doubleheader.
Ramos finds himself on the disabled list -- retroactive to Sunday -- after a rough stretch in which he allowed eight baserunners in his past three outings over 1 2/3 innings. Flores exited Sunday's game in Milwaukee with lower back soreness.
"It's pretty evident [he's injured]," Mets manager Mickey Callaway said of Flores. "He's going to obviously get checked out thoroughly and all that, but it was pretty evident that as sore as he is that he needs to go on the DL and get this right."
Plawecki had been on the disabled list since April 13 with a hairline fracture of his left hand. In four games with Triple-A Las Vegas, he went 3-for-13 with a homer and three RBIs. Plawecki said the process of recuperating from the injury was frustrating.
"I was very optimistic at first," Plawecki said. "I've never broken a bone in my life, so I had no idea of the timetable of everything. I just kind of mentally told myself that I would be fine in a couple of weeks. I guess it's just the athlete in me, and just wanting to make things go quicker than they needed to be, but that's why I learned that it was just kind of time to be patient and just kind of let it run its course and I had to be smart about it."
The Mets also activated infielder Phillip Evans from Las Vegas and optioned catcher Tomas Nido to Double-A Binghamton.
Vargas available out of bullpen
Left-hander Jason Vargas volunteered to pitch out of the bullpen on Monday, after a three-inning start in the Mets' 17-6 loss to the Brewers on Saturday. The 35-year-old gave up five runs on six hits with five strikeouts and two walks in that game.
Callaway said he would likely use Vargas in an emergency situation in which the Mets were short on pitchers.
"It's a guy that started a couple days ago that wants to do everything and help the team and said he was willing to pitch an inning today if we needed to instead of throwing his side [session], so that's kind of where we're at," Callaway said.
Pitching options open for Game 2
Callaway said the Mets won't decide who will start Game 2 of the split doubleheader in Atlanta until seeing how many pitchers they use in Game 1. He said it's highly unlikely that a pitcher would be used in both games.
"That's a tough ask, so we'll probably try to stay away from that," Callaway said. "I think we have plenty of pitching."
The Mets have a chance to gain ground in the National League East while playing the first-place Braves. Entering play on Monday, the Mets were four games out of first place.
"This is a big four-game set and obviously they've been playing well all year, they scored six against one of the best pitchers in all of baseball yesterday and they're not slowing down, so this is a big series," Callaway said. "I think we need to go out there and play the way we're capable of playing."
Aimee Sachs is a contributor to MLB.com based in Atlanta.