• Lance Berkman, who has been on the disabled list since July 7 with left hip inflammation, had a good day of batting practice on Tuesday, and the Rangers are hoping he'll be ready for a rehabilitation assignment this weekend. Said manager Ron Washington, "It looks like he's getting through the ball better. We'll see how he feels after we finish here. We'll definitely go on how he feels."
• Nick Tepesch, who has been sidelined since July 6 with inflammation in his right elbow, is still limited to long toss on flat ground.
• Alex Gonzalez, who was the Rangers' No. 1 pick in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft, was promoted from Class A Spokane to Myrtle Beach. He was 0-4 with a 4.56 ERA in nine starts at Spokane. But in his last three starts, he allowed one run on seven hits and two walks while striking out nine.
• Two pitchers were promoted from Myrtle Beach to Double-A Frisco: Jerard Eickhoff (7-3, 3.41) and Nick Martinez (10-7, 2.87). Mike Zouzalik was promoted from Class A Spokane to Myrtle Beach. He had a 1.35 ERA and four saves in 14 appearances.
• Lewis Brinson, the Rangers top pick in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft, has been activated off the disabled list at Class A Hickory.