• Sean Burnett is slated to have surgery to repair the torn flexor tendon in his left elbow by Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday. Burnett, signed through next season with a mutual option for 2015, will be sidelined for the rest of 2013 but is expected to be fully healthy for the start of '14 Spring Training.
• Joe Blanton has pitched six scoreless innings out of the bullpen, including three perfect ones in Monday's 5-2 loss to the Rangers, but Angels manager Mike Scioscia said, "There's always an opportunity for Joe to get back in our rotation. I don't think a good role in our 'pen is going to limit him from doing that. It's just going to be where our rotation is and what our needs are."
• Mark Trumbo took a grounder off his right ring finger on Monday, prompting Scioscia to put him at designated hitter and play Kole Calhoun at first base Tuesday.
• Robert Coello, who has been nursing shoulder inflammation since June 9, isn't expected back in 2013. The 28-year-old right-hander, who posted a 4.30 ERA in 13 games earlier this year, has been rehabbing in Arizona but has yet to start playing catch.
• Tommy Hanson dropped Scott Boras as his agent and has joined Greg Genske at The Legacy Agency. Hanson will be in his second year of arbitration this offseason.