• The Red Sox asked permission to use a designated hitter on Friday, but the Phillies, as is their right as the home team, declined.
"These situations are exchanged early in camp, almost at the beginning of the schedule," Farrell said. "I think there was a willingness if [David] Ortiz was on the trip. A manager is going to look at his own team, he knows what his needs are. We're the visiting team, so we'll play by the rules."
As a result, Lester took his first swings of the spring. He went 0-for-2, striking out and laying down a bunt.
"At least I got it down," joked Lester, who is not known for his prowess with a bat.
Farrell said the Red Sox will be allowed to employ a DH when they play the Braves in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., on Saturday.
• Left-handed reliever Craig Breslow threw "20 pitches of live batting practice with good intensity," Friday morning, Farrell said, and is "on tap for Monday," when he will make his first spring appearance.
Asked if Breslow is still on track to make the Opening Day roster, Farrell said, "It's premature to answer that.
"Be realistic and look at him in those three outings next week. I think he's following a path ahead of last year. Getting to game speed takes a while, and he's getting there."
• Farrell, his coaching staff and nine of the players who made the two-hour trip to Clearwater on Friday remained overnight at a Disney World area hotel Friday night while the rest of the squad bussed back to Fort Myers, Fla., after the game.
Those who remained will be joined for Saturday's game against the Braves by a fresh group of players, including Dustin Pedroia, Shane Victorino and Xander Bogaerts.
• The Phillies and Red Sox attracted a Bright House Field record crowd of 11,210 Friday.
• John Lackey will start Saturday's game against the Braves. Right-handers Dalier Hinojosa and Francisco Cordero and lefty Tommy Layne are also scheduled to pitch.
• With Opening Day now just 10 days away, Farrell has indicated the Red Sox regular-season starting lineup will be on the field fairly regularly next week.