• Porter said that veterans Chad Qualls and Matt Albers and hard-throwing right-hander Josh Fields will all be considered for closing duties, beginning on Tuesday. Porter said he would open the season with a closer by committee after the team blew an American League-high 29 saves last year.
• Porter woke up at 4:30 a.m. CT on Tuesday to attend the second of his Opening Day Breakfasts for his S.E.L.F. Foundation and found his 6-year-old son, Bryce, sitting at his door.
"I said, 'Bryce, what at you doing?'" Porter said. "He said, 'Daddy, it's Opening Day.' I said, 'Son, get back in bed. You have to get ready for school.' He said, 'Why do you have to go to school on Opening Day?'"
• PGA golfer Matt Kuchar visited some Astros and Yankees players during batting practice on Tuesday, spending time with Mark Teixeira and Cosart. The PGA Tour is in town this week with the Shell Houston Open.
• Crane said Yankees legend Reggie Jackson would be sitting with him during Tuesday's game. Jackson, of course, is known as "Mr. October," something that's not lost on Crane.
"We hope we can get into October at some point; I'll ask him about that," Crane joked.
• Former President George H.W. Bush, who lives part of the year in Houston, attended Tuesday's game and sat in the front row, near the Astros' dugout, with former First Lady Barbara Bush.