• Farrell said Saturday is "kind of a big day" for third baseman Will Middlebrooks as he progresses from a right calf strain which has had him on the disabled list since April 5. Middlebrooks could possibly begin a rehab assignment early in the week.
"He has another work day scheduled to stress the calf and see how he responds to that," Farrell said. "Today is kind of a big day in his progression. If he comes through today in good shape, then we could be looking at something Monday, Tuesday possibly to get him out."
• Shortstop Xander Bogaerts was out of the starting lineup against right-hander Bud Norris on Saturday. It is a day off for Bogaerts, Farrell said. Switch-hitter Jonathan Herrera got the start and batted eighth.
"After a couple of long ballgames, late travel, we felt like today was the first day down for him," Farrell said. "He's played every game. So a chance to get another left-handed bat in the lineup as well."
• David Ross got the start on Saturday, with A.J. Pierzynski getting a day off after a night game.
• Red Sox relievers have allowed just three runs in 16 2/3 innings over the last five games for a 1.62 ERA, improving the bullpen's overall ERA to 2.55, the best in the American League and fifth in MLB.
• Jackie Bradley Jr. turned 24 on Saturday.