• Nick Tepesch is 3-1 with a 2.45 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP in four starts at Triple-A Round Rock, but the Rangers passed him up in choosing to start Nick Martinez on Tuesday against the Athletics. The Rangers want Tepesch to get extended work at Round Rock, especially continuing his development of a changeup. Said manager Ron Washington, "He's in a place where he can take chances. You can't take chances up here."
• Double-A Frisco pitcher Luke Jackson was the Texas League Player of the Week while Yohander Mendez of Class A Hickory received that honor in the South Atlantic League.
• The Rangers have used the disabled list 11 times this season, the most in the Majors. They have 10 players currently on the disabled list, also the most in the Majors.
• Infielder Andy Parrino has been claimed off waivers by the Athletics and optioned to Triple-A Sacramento. The Rangers designated him for assignment last week to make room for pitcher Aaron Poreda on the 40-man roster. The Rangers claimed Parrino on waivers in Spring Training from the Athletics. Last year the Rangers and the Athletics swapped waiver claims on infielder Adam Rosales, who is currently at Triple-A Round Rock.
• Rangers infielder Luis Sardinas, 20, who made his Major League debut on Sunday with a single against the White Sox, is currently the youngest player in the Major Leagues.