MIAMI -- The Marlins made a flurry of moves Thursday afternoon, starting with acquiring outfielder Rece Hinds from the Reds in exchange for Minor League righty Zach McCambley.
Hinds, whom Miami optioned to Triple-A Jacksonville, had been designated for assignment by the Reds on Sunday after he hit .121 with three doubles in 36 plate appearances in the Majors.
In 51 career MLB games spread across the last three seasons, Hinds has a .172/.221/.426 slash line with seven home runs, but he has slugged 92 homers and stolen 86 bases over 474 Minor League games, including batting .306 with a 1.058 OPS with Triple-A Louisville this year.
Triple-A Jacksonville entered Thursday with just three healthy outfielders on its roster, with Marlins No. 8 prospect Kemp Alderman sidelined.
"He's still young, 25 years old, has performed in Triple-A, had some big years with the Reds in Triple-A, some Major League opportunity," manager Clayton McCullough said of Hinds. "There's some power, there's athleticism. Give [president of baseball operations] Peter [Bendix] credit. Peter's always looking to how can we continue to improve the organizational talent that we have. You have an opportunity to swing a move for someone that you believe still has age on their side and has talent, and you hope a change of scenery with a talented player can unlock some things. We'll see how he does, and how we can help him."
In order to make space on the 40-man roster for Hinds, the Marlins transferred No. 28 overall prospect Robby Snelling to the 60-day injured list. He was recommended for left elbow surgery, which will be performed on Friday by Keith Meister in Dallas.
McCambley, 27, was a third-round pick by Miami in 2020 out of Coastal Carolina. After being selected in the Rule 5 Draft by the Phillies this December, they returned him at the end of Spring Training. He has pitched to a 4.12 ERA in 147 Minor League games (42 starts), though he has outperformed those numbers at Triple-A, with a 2.94 ERA and 84 strikeouts in 67 1/3 innings since 2025.
Miami also placed Leo Jiménez on the seven-day injured list with concussion symptoms and recalled Graham Pauley to take Jiménez's infield spot. Jiménez exited Wednesday night's game after taking a knee to the head on Ronald Acuña Jr.'s sixth-inning slide into third base.
Pauley, who was optioned to Triple-A on May 7 because of his offensive struggles (.518 OPS in 81 plate appearances), had gone deep three times over his last seven games in the Minors. Pauley provides another left-handed-hitting option to the roster and can play first, second and third base. The right-handed-hitting Jiménez has played second, short and third in the Majors. His absence makes 2025 NL Gold Glove-winning utility player Javier Sanoja into Otto Lopez's backup at short.
"We all know Graham defensively brings a lot to the table," McCullough said. "Offensively in Jacksonville, [he] was working hard there with that group, carried some things he started just before he got sent down here with his path, and giving more length through the zone. He was feeling good about the things he was doing. [I] anticipate Graham will get some opportunities here versus some right-handed pitching, and certainly his ability to come off the bench late in the game that we're up to play defense and help shore things up is a good thing."
