Pirates CARE-a-van Visits Numerous Area Events
The 2017 Pirates CARE-a-van, presented by Highmark, took place from Wednesday, December 6 through Friday, December 8 and included stops at numerous private community events leading up to PiratesFest at PNC Park.
The CARE-a-van hosted a total of 19 events that impacted nine cities in the greater Pittsburgh area. It included stops in Erie, PA; Altoona, PA -- home of the Pirates' Double-A affiliate, the Altoona Curve; Morgantown, WV -- home of the Pirates' Short Season Class-A affiliate, the West Virginia Black Bears; Youngstown, OH; Wheeling, WV; and more.
Pirates players and prospects who took part in the CARE-a-van included Josh Bell, Christopher Bostick, Steven Brault, Tyler Glasnow, Clay Holmes, Nick Kingham, Chad Kuhl, Jack Leathersich, Max Moroff, Felipe Rivero, Edgar Santana, A.J. Schugel, Jacob Stallings and Jameson Taillon. Pirates coaches Kimera Bartee, Jeff Branson, Joey Cora and Euclides Rojas also participated, as did bullpen catchers Heberto Andrade and Jordan Comadena.
The CARE-a-van featured three separate Pirates groups traveling throughout the region. Pirates personnel and Pirates Charities, the philanthropic arm of the ballclub, partnered with local non-profits to assist with projects and services, and to visit schools and community organizations.
The events included:
Wednesday, December 6
- Adopt-a-School event at Ritchie Elementary School in Wheeling, WV
- Adopt-a-Family event with the Salvation Army in Bellevue, PA
- Highmark Caring Place Family Christmas Party at Fun-Fore-All in Cranberry Township, PA
- James E. Van Zandt VA Medical Center visit with Altoona Curve in Altoona, PA
- Supply drop-off for St. Vincent DePaul Community Garden at PNG Field in Altoona, PA
- Holiday Party for Lending Hearts at Highmark SportsWorks at the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh, PA
- Repack event with LaRoche College baseball team at Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank in Duquesne, PA
- Angel Tree drop off at the East End United Community Center in Uniontown, PA
- Visit to Ronald McDonald House in Morgantown, WV, to serve dinner and visit with patients and families in partnership with the West Virginia Black Bears
Thursday, December 7
- Food drive and luncheon at the Butler Art Institute of American Art in Youngstown, OH, with the Youngstown State baseball team, and delivery of goods to Second Harvest Food Bank of Mahoning Valley
- Visit to Sunnyview Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center in Butler, PA
- Adopt-a-Family event with the Salvation Army in Butler, PA
- Visit to Regency at South Shore Senior Living Community in Erie, PA, with LECOM
- Adopt-a-Family event with the Salvation Army in Erie, PA
- Pirates Charities Partner Celebration at PNC Park
Friday, December 8
- Presents for Patients event at St. Barnabas Charities/The Arbors 3 in Gibsonia, PA, with Ainsworth, Grounds and Hounds, and Animal Friends
- Visit to Pediatric Orthopedic Institute in Wexford, PA, with Highmark Health and Allegheny Health Network
- Winter weather shopping event with Destiny International Ministries at DICK'S Sporting Goods in Monroeville Mall
Jameson Taillon talks about the Pirates Charities CARE-a-van while attending the Lending Hearts Holiday Party at Highmark SportsWorks at the Carnegie Science Center.