2018 Community Commitment awardees named
Each year the Pirates acknowledge one player from each of their minor league clubs as recipients of the Pirates Community Commitment Program awards. These players are quality individuals on and off the field who have demonstrated leadership in community involvement and gone above and beyond the requirements of the program.
The 2018 Pirates Community Commitment Program award winners -- who were recognized on the field prior to the September 21 game vs. Milwaukee at PNC Park -- are:
- Ryan Lavarnway -- Indianapolis Indians (AAA)
- Brett Helton -- Altoona Curve (AA)
- James Marvel -- Bradenton Marauders (High-A)
- Ryan Peurifoy -- West Virginia Power (Low-A)
- Mike LoPresti -- West Virginia Black Bears (Short Season-A)
- Francisco Mepris -- Bristol Pirates (Rookie League)
- John Lantigua -- Gulf Coast League Pirates (Rookie League)
- Mariano Dotel and Jesus Valles -- Dominican Summer League Pirates
"At first, the Pirates Community Commitment Program is something you sign up for and you have hit a certain number of hours," Taillon said. "But by the time you reach the upper levels of the minors, guys have found something they associate with or really want to get involved in. That's when it starts to come from the heart and become something you really want to be a part of. At the big league level, it seems like everyone has found their path."