Pirates Homestand Highlights March 31 - April 6
Former award winners to be on hand as Pirates open the 2014 season at PNC Park
For the third consecutive year, the Pittsburgh Pirates will open their season on the North Shore at PNC Park. The team begins the 2014 campaign with a six-game homestand that includes a three-game series vs. National League Central rivals, the Chicago Cubs and the defending N.L. Champion, St. Louis Cardinals.
Opening Day festivities will highlight Opening Week as many former Pirates players will return to Pittsburgh to participate in on-field ceremonies and present the Pirates 2013 N.L. award winners. The Pirates will welcome back the team's former N.L. Most Valuable Players as Dick Groat and Barry Bonds will present Andrew McCutchen his 2013 MVP award (Pirates 1978 N.L. MVP Dave Parker was slated to appear as well, but will be unable to attend due to a scheduling conflict). Pirates two-time N.L. Manager-of-the-Year Jim Leyland will be on hand to present Clint Hurdle his 2013 Manager-of-the-Year award. And former Louisville Silver Slugger award winner Jack Wilson will present McCutchen and Pedro Alvarez with their 2013 Silver Slugger awards.
The Opening Day pregame excitement is scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m. with the professional parachute team "Fastrax" landing at PNC Park to deliver the American flag and Jolly Roger. Fans are encouraged to be in their seats early, to ensure they do not miss a moment of the special ceremonies.
Monday, March 31, 2014-Pirates vs. Chicago Cubs (1:05 p.m.) Opening Day presented by PNC Bank
Game will be telecast on ROOT SPORTS Pittsburgh and nationally on ESPN
- Magnetic Schedule Day: All fans in attendance receive Pirates 2014 Magnetic Schedules compliments of PNC Bank.
- Gate Time: PNC Park gates will open to ALL FANS at 11 a.m.
- Up in the Sky : The professional parachute team "Fastrax," America's skydiving team, will fly into PNC Park and land on the field with the American flag and the Jolly Roger prior to today's Opening Day ceremonies.
- 2013 Awards Ceremonies: 2013 was a memorable run for the Pittsburgh Pirates and along the way several members of the club picked up individual awards for their personal accomplishments. Today in separate on-field ceremonies these players and manager Clint Hurdle will be recognized by the Pirates and fans at PNC Park.
o MVP Cutch: Last season, Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen registered his third consecutive All-Star season and at the end of the 2013 campaign was named the National League's Most Valuable Player. Today, McCutchen will receive the award in a pregame ceremony that will include former Pirates MVPs Dick Groat (1960 N.L. MVP) and Barry Bonds (Seven time N.L. MVP, two with the Pirates- 1990 and 1992).
o Manager-of-the-Year: In 2013, Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle guided his team to a 94-68 record and a berth in the National League Division Series, at the end of the season the Pirates manager was awarded the N.L. Manager-of-the-Year award. Today, Hurdle will be presented the award by former Pirates manager and three-time Manager-of-the-Year, Jim Leyland (N.L. Manager-of-the-Year with the Pirates- 1990 and 1992).
o Silver Sluggers: Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez and McCutchen will receive their 2013 Louisville Silver Sluggers in an on-field ceremony prior to the game. The two became the first pair of Pirates sluggers to win the award in the same season since Barry Bonds and Andy Van Slyke won the honor in 1992. The awards will be presented by former Pirates shortstop and 2004 Silver Slugger Jack Wilson. Alvarez will also be presented the 2013 N.L. Home Run plaque. Last season Alvarez tied with Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt for the N.L. home run crown with 36 blasts.
o Comeback Player: After a 2013 campaign in which he was 16-8 with a 3.02 ERA, Pirates hurler Francisco Liriano was named the N.L. Comeback Player of the Year. He will be recognized today in a pregame ceremony.
- PNC Check Presentation : PNC Bank will present a donation to the City of Pittsburgh Police K-9 Protective Vest Fund. Officer Phil Lerza, whose K-9 partner officer, Rocco, was killed in the line of duty in January, will throw a ceremonial first pitch.
- Moment of Silence : Today in a pregame ceremony the Pirates, Cubs and everyone in attendance at PNC Park will observe a moment of silence for members of the Pirates family who have passed away in recent months. Honored with a moment of silence will be Pirates alumni Ralph Kiner, Johnny Logan, Eddie O'Brien and Preston Ward along with Pirates minor leaguer Evan Chambers and long-time Pirates beat writer Charlie Feeney.
- Color Guard: Today the colors will be presented by a joint Military Color Guard and joined by members of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police K-9 Unit.
- Lineup: Members of the Pirates and Cubs will take part in player introductions on the infield lines.
- God Bless America: Today, God Bless America will be performed by Staff Sergeant Charles Stoddard of the U.S. Army's 316th infantry.
- National Anthem : The National Anthem will be performed by Petrina McCutchen, mother of Pirates 2013 N.L. MVP and three-time All-Star Andrew McCutchen.
- First Pitch : Scott Kiner, son of Pirates Hall of Famer Ralph Kiner, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.
Tuesday, April 1, 2014- Off Date
- Ticket Tuesday: Today at noon Jalapeno Hannah will be at the Giant Eagle Get Go location at 7675 McKnight Road (Pittsburgh, PA 15237) with 50 pairs of FREE tickets as part of the Pirates "Bucs Ticket Tuesday" social media promotion. The first 50 people to meet Hannah will receive two free tickets to the Sunday, April 6 game.
Wednesday, April 2, 2014-Pirates vs. Chicago Cubs (7:05 p.m.)
- Buc Night: The popular Buc Night, presented by Sugardale, is back at PNC Park as a limited number of $1 tickets in select sections were available for tonight's game. Also at PNC Park general concession stands, all fans can enjoy Sugardale hot dogs and popcorn for just $1 each.
Thursday, April 3, 2014-Pirates vs. Chicago Cubs (12:35 p.m.)
- Lunch with the Bucs: Need to get out of the office? Do Lunch with the Bucs, sponsored by Trib Total Media. Grandstand tickets are just $20 and come with $5 in loaded value and Outfield Box seats are just $30 and have $10 in loaded value. Loaded Value is a credit on your ticket(s) that can be used during the game at concession and merchandise stands throughout PNC Park. For more information visit pirates.com/lunch.
- Art Rooney Award Dinner: Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle will receive The Art Rooney Award at the 41st Annual Art Rooney Award Dinner & Auction benefitting the Catholic Youth Association. The dinner will be held at the Westin Convention Center Hotel with festivities beginning at 6 p.m. For reservations and information, please visit www.artrooneyaward.com.
Friday, April 4, 2014-Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals (7:05 p.m.)
- Free Shirt Friday: The Pirates popular Free Shirt Friday is back in 2014 as the first 25,000 fans, with paid admission, will receive a Raise the Jolly Roger tee compliments of Allegheny Health Network.
Saturday, April 5, 2014-Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals (7:05 p.m.)
- Zambelli Fireworks Night: Fans are encouraged to stay in their seats immediately following the game and enjoy an amazing fireworks display presented by Zambelli Fireworks International, courtesy of First Energy Solutions.
- Scratch and Win: Everyone is a winner with the special Scratch 'n Win presented by Eat 'n Park. All fans will receive a scratch-off ticket upon entering PNC Park with an opportunity to win one of several great prizes
Sunday, April 6, 2014-Pirates vs. St. Louis Cardinals (1:35 p.m.)
- Kids Day: Come down early and join the fun as the #1 Cochran Family Fun Zone will be open on Federal Street from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Lined up outside PNC Park will be inflatable rides, face painting, information about the Bucaroos Kids Club, presented by Chick-fil-A and more.
- Kids Run the Bases: Kids attending today's game are invited to stick around after to run the bases on the field at PNC Park with the Kids Run the Bases, presented by Kennywood.
- El Toro Bat: Today all kids ages 14 and younger, with paid admission, will receive a kids Pedro Alvarez Louisville Slugger plastic bat presented by Highmark.
- Autism Awareness: The Pirates have teamed up with Autism Speaks for today's Autism Awareness Day. Tickets can be purchased at pirates.com/autismspeaks with a portion of each ticket donated to Autism Speaks. This is the first in the 2014 Awareness Series in which the Pirates will partner with local nonprofit service agencies throughout the greater Pittsburgh area to host special events to raise funds and awareness for their specific cause. To learn more about the Awareness Series and how to become involved contact Chaz Kellem at [email protected]
- Advantage Card Game: As part of the many fan-friendly values at PNC Park, today is a Giant Eagle Advantage Card game. Fans can save up to $10 on select tickets for every Sunday home game. For complete details, visit pirates.com/advantagecard.
- National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame Dinner: Pirates closer Jason Grilli will be honored as the "Man of the Year" at the 28th Annual National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame Awards and Scholarship Banquet. The event will take place at the Westin Convention Hotel and begins at 5 p.m. For more information, please visit www.italiansportspgh.com.
Fourth Annual Pittsburgh Pirates 5K Home Run & One Mile Family Fun Run
The fourth annual Pittsburgh Pirates 5K Home Run presented by Highmark and Allegheny Health Network and benefitting Pirates Charities, will take place on Saturday, April 19. The run will be on Pittsburgh's North Shore, starting on Federal Street and finishing inside PNC Park. The race is open to fans of all ages and abilities with the top finishers from each category being recognized in a pre-game on-field ceremony before that night's game. Families may also participate by taking part in the One Mile Family Fun Run, presented by Chick-fil-A. To register or obtain complete race details, fans can log onto pirates.com/5Khomerun.
Pirates Charities 50/50 Raffles
The Pirates Charities 50/50 Raffle is back for a second season. The 50/50 Raffles will take place during each Pirates home game throughout the season. Raffle ticket prices are three (3) tickets for $5, 10 tickets for $10 and 40 tickets for $20 with all proceeds benefiting Pirates Charities. Raffle ticket sales close after the last out in the sixth inning. The winning number will be drawn, announced in the 8th inning and the winner will receive 50 percent of the total pot. Winning numbers will also be posted on www.pirates.com/5050raffle within three business days.
2014 Bucaroos Kids Club
The Bucaroos Kids Club, presented by Chick-fil-A, is open to all kids ages 14 and younger. The club offers special member-only benefits and has two great membership options-one of which is free. Fans can visit pirates.com/bucaroos to learn more about the different membership options and how to earn free game ticket vouchers, great gear and access to our exclusive Rewards Program.
2014 Lady Bucs Club
Lady Pirates fans and their closest friends are invited to join the Lady Bucs Club. Experience Pirates baseball in an exciting new way as membership includes one (1) ticket to two (2) Lady Bucs Party Nights, seating in the Baseline Box, membership card and access to each of the four (4) pregame Lady Bucs Club parties in the Pirates Picnic Park. Check out pirates.com/ladybucs for membership costs and a list of detailed benefits.
Dynamic Pricing Section
The Pirates popular dynamic pricing system is back in 2014 and includes both the Bleacher Reserve and Upper Bleacher Reserve sections of PNC Park. Tickets for the 2,400 seats, located in left field, will be placed on sale 10-days prior to each home game. The initial ticket price will then be adjusted- both lower and higher- in real time, based on several factors. For the complete list of games and to find the on-sale dates, visit pirates.com/dynamic.
All You Can Eat
The All You Can Eat Seats are a popular way to enjoy a game in Sections 201 through 205. Those tickets are priced at $43 for White games, $45 for Black games and $48 for Gold games.** They include all the hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, salads, popcorn, peanuts, peanut butter-filled pretzels, ice cream and soda you can handle for one low price -- and there are dedicated All You Can Eat concession stands with a speed line approach.
(**Advance ticket purchase price. Black games are Saturdays in April and all Fridays from May through September. Gold games are Opening Day (March 31), all Saturdays from May through September, July 4 & 6 vs. Philadelphia and September 16-18 vs. Boston).
Pup Nights at PNC
The 2014 season features NINE Pup Nights at PNC Park with the first scheduled for Tuesday, April 22 vs. the Cincinnati Reds. Each ticket package (1 person & 1 dog) costs just $28 with additional human tickets available for $28 each. A portion of the proceeds benefit local animal shelters and seats are limited and subject to availability. For complete information and to order tickets fans can visit pirates.com/pups.
Hunt Auctions Kiosk
Located on the main concourse behind section 125, the Hunt Auctions kiosk is your one and only source for game-used and autographed items at PNC Park. Stop by to own your piece of the 2013 Pirates post-season, or check out our new autographed and game-used products featuring Gerrit Cole, Pedro Alvarez, Andrew McCutchen and more.
Pirates Season Ticket Plans
Full Season, 41-game, 20-game and 13-game season ticket plans are available for the 2014 season. Full and partial-season ticket plans feature exclusive benefits including guaranteed seats for the biggest games, discounted ticket prices, invitations to special season ticket holder events featuring Pirates players and executives, plus much more. For more information regarding purchasing a season ticket plan, call 1-800-BUY-BUCS or visit pirates.com/tickets.
Special Kids Pricing
The Pirates are pleased to offer special ticket prices for all 81 home games for kids ages 14 and younger in select sections of PNC Park. Save up to $9 on kid's single game tickets, visit pirates.com/tickets for more details.
For a complete list of the 2014 Pirates promotions and special events, visit pirates.com/promotions.