Gallo, Bush injured following infield collision

Both will be evaluated on Monday ahead of series against Angels

August 20th, 2017

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers dodged what appeared to be a potentially disastrous incident on the infield in the eighth inning of Sunday's 3-2 loss to the White Sox.

Nicky Delmonico popped up in the infield, and both Joey Gallo and Matt Bush tracked it to try and haul it in. But as Bush caught the ball they collided, and the side of Bush's head struck Gallo's face. The third baseman immediately dropped to the ground with blood dripping onto the ground. Gallo walked off under his own power, and after another trainer checked on Bush, he, too, also left the game.

Gallo suffered a small non-displaced nasal fracture in the collision and is in the concussion protocol as dictated by Major League Baseball, as is Bush. He will be re-examined on Monday morning, and if Gallo is cleared, he could join the Rangers later in the day in Anaheim.

Bush suffered a bruised right knee and will be examined on Monday, at which time his status will be determined.

"Obviously, any time you see a collision like that, there is a level of concern. When there's blood on the field, there's a little more level of concern," Rangers manager Jeff Banister said. "Matt walked off by himself, seemed to progress in the clubhouse and in the training room as time went. We'll know more tomorrow. With Joe, obviously any time you have blood on the field there's a definite higher level of concern. The face, nose, lip. Obviously, we'll take all the steps to make sure we know exactly what's going on with both guys."

Phil Gosselin -- who arrived at Globe Life Park on Saturday after being claimed on waivers by the Rangers -- took Gallo's spot at third base, and entered the game to pitch.

"We had checked on both guys," Banister said. "The immediate reaction -- you've got a player on the field, face down, blood coming out of his face, that's the number one priority. I had checked on Bush, we could tell that he wasn't just right.

"Once we got Gallo off the field, called for the next trainer, for Matt Lucero, so we could get him out there to check Bush at that time to make sure he was OK, to assess him and to see whether there was any damage and whether we were going to need to take him out of the game."