PHOENIX -- It appears that Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey could soon be moved to the bullpen, but that was not finalized on Tuesday."We talked with Homer earlier today," Reds interim manager Jim Riggleman said. "We're contemplating moving him to the bullpen. It's going to be a real transition. We've
PHOENIX -- It appears that Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey could soon be moved to the bullpen, but that was not finalized on Tuesday.
"We talked with Homer earlier today," Reds interim manager Jim Riggleman said. "We're contemplating moving him to the bullpen. It's going to be a real transition. We've got a few days to sort it out and see, with more to discuss with [pitching coaches] Danny Darwin and Teddy Power, Homer and myself to see how that would work for him."
Bailey, 32, pitched four-plus innings and allowed eight runs (six earned), six hits and one walk with three strikeouts in Monday's 12-5 loss to Arizona. In 12 starts overall, he is 1-7 with a Major League-worst 6.68 ERA among qualified starters.
Besides being the Major League leader in hits allowed (81), Bailey also leads the National League with 15 home runs allowed. Over his last seven starts, he has a 9.37 ERA.
Because of an off-day on Thursday, the Reds could have Luis Castillo take Bailey's turn on Sunday at San Diego. Since Castillo started on Tuesday night, he would be pitching on normal rest.
Bailey, who debuted in the Majors in 2007, has never pitched in a relief role and expressed concerns to Riggleman during the meeting.
"He just knows his body," Riggleman said. "He feels like it takes him a long time to get ready. He does not envision this as something that would be a smooth transition.
"He's pitched a long time, and he's always been a starter. He's used to a side day and a couple more days off. Everything is set up. That's kind of where we are. If something happens in the fourth or fifth inning, you're only giving him a few hitters to get warm. That probably won't be enough."
If Bailey ultimately protested the move, what would be the next step? The right-hander is making $21 million this season and is owed an additional $23 million for '19. He has a $25 million club option for '20 that has a $5 million buyout.
"I don't know if there is another step right now," Riggleman said. "One of the things that Homer asked and it's a good question: 'Are you closing the option of me starting?' No, we're not. That would be a possibility too, that he continues to start.
"Things happen. If Homer were in the bullpen and maybe week or two later, somebody turns an ankle or has twinge in his shoulder and can't start, then Homer is back in there."
Gennett doesn't want to be dealt
Now the NL's Player of the Week for the second time in three weeks, Reds second baseman Scooter Gennett entered Tuesday leading the NL in hitting (.347) and was among league leaders in several other categories.
It's a double-edged sword for Gennett. Of course he wants to play well and help the Reds, but he's also increasing his potential value as a trade chip.
"Well, I see all that stuff, all the Twitter and Instagram stuff. I don't think about it when I'm playing and when I'm here," Gennett said. "At the same time, it's something that is out there that I've read and other people have read. The way I look at it is, I want to play for this team. I was born in Cincinnati. I grew up a Reds fan. I love my teammates, I love the coaching staff and I love the fans. I'd like nothing more than to play here long-term. Unfortunately that's not up to me."
Gennett prevailed in arbitration in February and is making $5.7 million this season after a breakout 2017, his first year with the Reds. He batted .295/.342/.531 with 27 homers and 97 RBIs in 141 games, and can be a free agent after the 2019 season.
According to Gennett, he and his agent approached the club about a multiyear extension during the offseason.
"They shot it down," Gennett said. "They wanted to see me repeat what I did last year, which, rightfully so. If you look at my years, last year there was a huge spike there. If I was them, I probably would've went the same route. 'Let's see if he can do it again.' That being said, I feel like I'm doing a good job this year kind of backing up my last year. The ball's in their court. I think it's really up to Mr. Castellini [Bob Castellini, owner/CEO] and the front office about where we go from here. I love the team and I'd love to be here."
Remarkably, Gennett's month started with him missing four games with right shoulder inflammation that affected both his throwing and hitting. He continues to get treatment and his .409 average for the month of May is a sign that his efforts to stay healthy are working.
"I'm just pretty much in there every day for an hour working on it and then getting the weight room and making sure I'm staying on top of all my other body parts and making sure they're good to go," he said. "It can be a little frustrating at times, but it's definitely worth it. It's worth the burning and the pain to get it stronger."
Reds call up Reyes
The Reds optioned reliever Tanner Rainey to Triple-A Louisville on Tuesday and called up right-hander Jesus Reyes from Double-A Pensacola. Rainey made 37 pitches in one inning during Monday's loss.
Seeing Reyes' numbers, it seemed like an odd time for a promotion. He is 0-8 with a 5.97 ERA in 12 games -- including six starts -- for Pensacola. But he was on the 40-man roster and the only fresh arm in the Minors available to the big league club.
"He's here just in case we have to go deep into the bullpen," Riggleman said. "We need someone to cover those innings."
Reyes could have a short stay if the Reds decided to activate closer Raisel Iglesias, who is eligible to come off the DL on Wednesday.
Four outfielder rotation breaking up?
For the second straight game on Tuesday, Riggleman did not start Jesse Winker in the outfield, instead going with the trio of Adam Duvall, Billy Hamilton and Scott Schebler. Winker hasn't been benched, however.
"I just want to run a couple of guys out there multiple days in a row to see if we can get some of them going," Riggleman said. "It's a four-man outfield, but they have not really flourished in that. The day off that each of them gets, it just hasn't worked for them. So I'm going to try and run a few of them out there on consecutive days and see if we can get them going."
Dunn to represent Reds at Draft
MLB announced that each club will have representatives at the 2018 Draft, which begins on Monday. The Reds will be represented by Adam Dunn and John Ceprini. Dunn, a second-round pick of the Reds in the 1998 Draft, was a two-time All-Star left fielder for Cincinnati and will be inducted into the club's Hall of Fame later this summer. Ceprini is a scouting supervisor for the organization.
Day 1 Draft coverage starts Monday at 6 ET on MLB Network and MLB.com. The Reds have picks 5, 47 and 72.
Mark Sheldon has covered the Reds for MLB.com since 2006, and previously covered the Twins from 2001-05. Follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon and Facebook and listen to his podcast.