Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

This article was printed from, originally published .

Read more news at:

Buchholz out of hospital, returns to Red Sox

BOS View Full Game Coverage TON -- Right-hander Clay Buchholz was released from the hospital after nearly a week around 12 a.m. ET on Wednesday. After sleeping at home in his own bed, he was at Fenway Park later that morning.

"I saw Clay this morning. He looked so much better than I was led to believe I was going to see," manager Bobby Valentine said. "I guess you've already heard or seen. He hasn't lost as much weight as I heard he had, he had good color, his eyes were bright. I think it's just going to be getting him back into the saddle, and hopefully the illness is behind us."

Buchholz is feeling better now, but the gastrointestinal bleeding and esophagitis he suffered from were not light matters. The right-hander said he lost three pounds, which could be less than expected after not being able to eat for 72 hours, and received three or four pints of blood.

"Really scary, yeah," said Buchholz, who's on the 15-day disabled list and will need some time to be physically ready to pitch. "I've never felt the urge to pass out every time you stand up and I didn't really know what was going on. Whenever you got doctors [say] 'All right, just come to my doctor's office and we'll check you out.' I was like, 'I can't get there, can't walk.'

"It was pretty scary for about two days, and then I think they were trying to downplay it, but when you're laying in [the intensive care unit], where I'm from it usually means that stuff's not going really well. Once I got out of there the doctors were pretty upfront, saying it wasn't really life-threatening at this point. They just had to keep me in there to make sure everything was [OK], I wasn't losing any more blood, and that's where we're at right now."

Buchholz checked into a hospital June 20, thinking he just had a stomach virus, but when standing made him feel like passing out, he knew something more was wrong. The first couple days in the hospital -- he spent 2 1/2 in the ICU -- were mostly a blur.

What exactly caused Buchholz's condition is not known, but more tests might shed some light. He said doctors never said anything to him about an over-the-counter medicine being the cause.

Buchholz won't travel with the team to the West Coast this week and it's a matter of finding his strength before he pitches again.

"[I'm] sort of easing my way back into everything," he said. "I'm going to obviously not do a whole lot of running or anything. I don't think my blood count's quite up to where it needs to be for the everyday activity that we do here. Start slow, start doing some shoulder work, maybe just walking around outside and stuff. Running with the guys, just getting outside and getting my legs back under me and go from there."

Buchholz was at Massachusetts General Hospital, and he had a visit from two of the Red Sox's owners on Tuesday, John Henry and Larry Lucchino. This was the second straight year that June proved to be a less than fortunate month for Buchholz, who was lost for the season in 2011 because of a back injury.

"My Junes, man. My Junes aren't good the last two years," Buchholz said. "I've had some bad Junes. That's what I was telling Mr. Henry and Mr. Lucchino. They came in yesterday [and] I was like, 'You know guys, I'm going to try to hold out next year on the June deal. Hopefully I can skip past the bad June.'"

Buchholz said he was snuck a burger and pizza in the hospital, and that his appetite is fully back. The baseball part's still to come.

"I think it's all on the field right now," Buchholz said. "Depends on how my body's going to feel getting out and starting to throw and starting to move around. ... I've got to get my legs back underneath me right now. It's going to take as long as it has to take, I guess. I'm not going to push myself to get back any earlier than what I feel like I need to."

Boston Red Sox, Clay Buchholz