Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

This article was printed from, originally published .

Read more news at:

Overturned call at second pivotal in Sox's rally

TORONTO -- For the second straight night, Mookie Betts was thrown out at second base. But just like Monday, the Red Sox's top prospect had the call overturned following a video review.

With the scored tied in the top of the 11th and Betts on first, Christian Vazquez laid down a bunt that bounced toward Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen, who attempted to get the lead runner at second for the force out. Betts narrowly slid in ahead of the throw, but he was ruled out by second-base umpire Eric Cooper, prompting Red Sox manager John Farrell to challenge the call.

View Full Game Coverage

Following a review lasting one minute and 16 seconds, the call was overturned.

"Mookie gets a good read, a good job and his speed carries him the rest of the way," Farrell said. "In the time he's been back, he's been doing things inside games he might not have done the first time he was here."

The play proved crucial, as Brock Holt bunted and reached on Janssen's error to load the bases on the next play, which ended up having a ripple effect.

"It was a good bunt, it was well placed, tried to be aggressive, tried to see what I could do once I got it and I just didn't get it," said Janssen. "Obviously that led to the bases loaded and nobody out."

Dustin Pedroia swatted a go-ahead, two-run single and then Mike Napoli blasted a three-run homer. Allen Craig capped the seven-run rally with a two-run blast as the Red Sox won, 11-7.

Even before two innings were in the books, there were two plays reviewed during Tuesday night's game at Rogers Centre.

Will Middlebrooks laced a double to centre field in the first inning, and Napoli scored easily from second. Craig attempted to score all the way from first base, but the relay throw home from second baseman Munenori Kawasaki beat Craig to end the inning.

There appeared to be a question about whether or not catcher Josh Thole had blocked the plate as Craig slid in. Farrell left the dugout to speak to home-plate umpire Hal Gibson, and after a quick meeting, the umpires initiated a crew chief review.

After a 29-second review, the original call was confirmed and the inning was over, but not before the Red Sox had given themselves a 3-0 lead. In the top of the second, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons used his challenge on a close play at first base. Betts walked and then almost got picked off first by knuckleballer R.A. Dickey.

Dickey's throw was low and into the runner, which allowed Edwin Encarnacion to make the tag at first. First-base umpire Chris Guccione called Betts safe on the play, and after Gibbons challenged, the call on the field stood.

Jamie Ross is an associate reporter for

Boston Red Sox, Mookie Betts, Allen Craig, Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Reyes, Josh Thole