KANSAS CITY, MO (September 21, 2012) – The Kansas City Royals will make a goodwill trip to Joplin, Mo., on Monday, September 24, as part of the club’s ongoing support of the city’s recovery and rebuilding effort. During the visit, club representatives will work with Habitat for Humanity on several new homes being built for victims of the tornado that ripped through the city on May 22, 2011.
The Royals contingent is scheduled to include pitcher Danny Duffy, Royals Hall of Fame first baseman John Mayberry, former first baseman Willie Aikens, former outfielder Brian McRae, former infielder Greg Pryor, former pitcher Shawn Sedlacek and mascot Sluggerrr. More than 30 front offices associates are scheduled to volunteer for the day and will be joined by staff from the Northwest Arkansas Naturals, the club’s Double-A affiliate in Springdale, Ark.
The trip is taking place in conjunction with the Governor’s Joplin Challenge, a year-long initiative promoted by Missouri Governor Jay Nixon to mobilize sports entities in Missouri in supporting the build of 35 homes in Joplin.
Together with Habitat for Humanity volunteers, the Royals will work on five homes in the “Royals neighborhood.” In addition, Sluggerrr and the former players will have an opportunity to meet with residents of Joplin, including the families who will be moving into the Royals neighborhood, and thank volunteers for their selfless service.
Fans are encouraged to visit www.joplinchallenge.mo.gov for information on the initiative. In addition, there are a number of ways fans can continue to support the rebuilding effort, including:
- Contacting Joplin Area Habitat for Humanity to volunteer for future builds (both skilled and unskilled labor). www.joplinhabitat.org
- Donating gently-used household items to Joplin Area Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore. www.joplinhabitat.org
- Assisting families with children in need through the Joplin Public School Bright Futures Foundation. http://brightfuturesjoplin.org/
- Contacting AmeriCorps in Joplin to volunteer. Call the AmeriCorps offices at (417) 627-8883 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to volunteer.
- Donating bottled water for the many volunteers working in the community. Call the AmeriCorps offices to (417) 627-8883 to coordinate your donation.
The Royals made their first trip to Joplin in June 2011, joining members of the Northwest Arkansas Naturals to meet with volunteers and victims and help to distribute food, clothing, toiletries and other necessities. Since that time, Royals Charities and the Royals have hosted a number of fundraising and awareness campaigns in support of the rebuilding effort. For details, visit www.royals.com/joplin.