Kansas City Royals Left Fielder Alex Gordon named spokesperson for 2012 Major League Baseball All-Star Fanfest
Kansas City Royals left fielder Alex Gordon has been named spokesperson for 2012 MLB All-Star FanFest, which will be held at the Kansas City Convention Center/Bartle Hall from Friday, July 6th through Tuesday, July 10th. Gordon joins a notable list of MLB players who have served in this role including Derek Jeter and Albert Pujols. As the spokesperson, Gordon will generate awareness for and make a variety of appearances on behalf of the event.
“MLB All-Star FanFest captures the thrills and excitement of Major League Baseball and brings it to life for the fans,” said Gordon. “I’m honored and excited to be a part of this amazing event.”
Gordon, the second pick of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, set career-highs in every offensive category in 2011, batting .303 with 185 hits, 45 doubles, four triples, 23 home runs, 87 RBI, 101 runs scored and 17 stolen bases in 151 games. In his first full season as an outfielder, the 28-year-old captured an A.L. Rawlings Gold Glove, becoming the 10th different Royals player (19th time overall) to win the award. The Lincoln, Nebraska native led the Major Leagues with a franchise-record 20 outfield assists, becoming just the 24th player in the Major Leagues since 1969 to have at least 20 in a single season. The University of Nebraska product was one of five Major Leaguers in 2011 and one of four Royals in history to hit .300 with at least 45 doubles and 20 home runs, joining Hal McRae (1982), Mike Sweeney (2001) and Billy Butler (2009). Gordon, who was a candidate in the 2011 All-Star Game MLB.com Final Vote Sponsored by Sprint, made his Major League debut in 2007 and led the team with a franchise rookie-record of 36 doubles.
MLB All-Star FanFest will transform the Kansas City Convention Center/Bartle Hall into the largest interactive baseball theme park in the world, providing an unrivaled experience for fans of all ages. Visitors will experience more than 400,000 square feet of baseball fun with attractions including exhibits from the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, batting cages, clinics, free autograph sessions with former Royals, MLB legends and Hall of Famers, memorabilia and much more.
Sample attractions include:
· The Diamond – Located at the center of MLB All-Star FanFest, this attraction features daily clinics and appearances by MLB players, managers and other experts. Past appearances have included Tony Gwynn, Torii Hunter, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken, Jr., David Wright and many other MLB greats
· Legends Autograph Program – Free autographs from Hall of Famers and MLB legends. Players such as Andre Dawson, Rollie Fingers, Ferguson Jenkins and Juan Marichal have previously signed for fans at MLB All-Star FanFest
· National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum – Take a stroll through Baseball’s glorious past and experience the history of the national pastime with one of the largest collections of artifacts on loan from the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown
· The Negro Leagues – A compelling visual journey back in time, the Negro Leagues attraction brings to life the heroic history of some of the game’s proudest and most talented players
· Hometown Heroes – Hometown Heroes showcases Kansas City Royals history, roots in the community and promise for the future
· World’s Largest Baseball – What better way to welcome families to the largest baseball fan event in the world than with the World’s Largest Baseball? The signature white leather, red-laced ball measures 12 feet in diameter and features the signatures of baseball greats such as Hank Aaron, Rod Carew, Derek Jeter, Nolan Ryan, Ozzie Smith and Ted Williams
All MLB All-Star FanFest attractions are included with the price of admission. The only additional event costs are for concessions, memorabilia and merchandise. Tickets are $30 for adults and $25 for children 12 and under (children two and under are admitted free), senior citizens and military personnel. Tickets for MLB All-Star FanFest are sold on a timed-entry basis, providing fans the ability to reserve the day and time of their choice. Once inside the venue, fans can stay at MLB All-Star FanFest as long as they wish until the event’s closing time. MLB is also offering several discount options:
· MLB All-Star FanFest Family Pack – $5 off each ticket purchased in packages of four to seven
· FanFest Eat and Play Combo – Four tickets, four Pepsis, four hot dogs all for $110
· Buy One, Get One Free Friday – Buy one full-price ticket on Friday, July 6th, and get the second ticket for the same date for free
· Two for Tuesday – Buy two full-price tickets for Tuesday, July 10th, and get two additional tickets for the same date for free
To purchase, visit the official All-Star Game website of Major League Baseball (AllStarGame.com), the official Royals website (royals.com/2012), the Royals Box Office at Kauffman Stadium or call 1-888-FanFest (326-3378).