Padres have found 'tremendous interest' while exploring sale of team
This browser does not support the video element.
PEORIA, Ariz. -- For the first time since the November announcement that the Padres’ ownership group would be exploring a sale of the team, chairman John Seidler spoke with reporters on Monday, offering an update on that process.
“We’ve had tremendous interest,” Seidler said. “There has been interest -- some parties that have been reported in the press, others have not. There are more parties interested than has been reported.”
Seidler spoke with reporters alongside Padres CEO Erik Greupner on the second day of Padres camp, shortly after the club had come to a multiyear contract extension with general manager A.J. Preller.
This browser does not support the video element.
“A.J. likes to say that every offseason is different, plays out in its own timing,” Seidler said. “A sales process also plays out in its own timing. In the next few months, the process will come to a logical conclusion.”
Seidler’s statements largely echo those of MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred, who said last week: “The best I can tell on you on the Padres is there is robust interest on what is viewed as a really appealing asset.”
The Seidler family has been part of Padres ownership since 2012, as part of the group that bought the franchise for $800 million from previous owner John Moores. Ron Fowler served as executive chairman from 2012-20, before Peter Seidler, who had been one of the team’s lead investors during those eight years, took over as control person following the ‘20 season.
Seidler served in that role for three years before his death in November 2023, and the team remained owned by his family afterward, with Seidler’s eldest brother, John, named chairman prior to the 2025 season.
This browser does not support the video element.
Asked what he would be looking for in a potential buyer, Seidler specifically noted ties to San Diego.
“We would like to see what everybody would like to see,” Seidler said. “We would like to see somebody with ties to San Diego, a deep love of San Diego and a deep love of baseball -- so they can continue doing the work that we do in the community and providing a product on the field that the fans enjoy.”
Indeed, under the Seidler family’s ownership, the Padres have prospered in what is arguably the most successful era in the team’s history, having reached the postseason in four of the past six seasons, while regularly shattering franchise attendance records.
Seidler was also asked if a sale would be contingent on the Padres remaining in San Diego long-term, and he responded: “The Padres aren’t moving from San Diego.”
Seidler declined to speak on the specifics of what would be negotiated with a buyer in a potential sale. But he added:
“A new buyer would be nuts to move the team out of San Diego. We had the second-highest attendance in all of baseball last year. We’ve been in the top five for the last five or six seasons. San Diego is a great place for baseball. Baseball is the only major sport in San Diego right now. So the opportunity is in San Diego, not elsewhere.”