Anthony replaces Carroll on USA's World Baseball Classic roster
This browser does not support the video element.
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Roman Anthony, who has already had a meteoric rise from MLB’s top prospect to emerging star for the Red Sox, will now get a chance to perform on the international stage.
The 21-year-old outfielder was named as an injury replacement for Team USA on Monday in next month’s World Baseball Classic, taking the roster spot vacated by D-backs outfielder Corbin Carroll (right hamate bone fracture).
“Amazing,” Anthony said. “It was one of those opportunities that you dream of as a kid. Obviously it’s super unfortunate what happened [to Carroll], and hoping for the best for him with a speedy recovery, but it was exciting on my end to be able to just get that call.”
And unlike in 2023, when Anthony and a bunch of his Minor League teammates bought tickets for what ended up an epic WBC championship game between the United States and Japan at loanDepot park in Miami, he won’t have to pay his way in this time.
During his spectating experience at the Classic, when Shohei Ohtani capped the tournament by striking out then-Angels teammate Mike Trout, Anthony was just eight months removed from being selected by the Red Sox as the 79th pick of the Draft out of high school.
“Watching it as a fan was unbelievable,” said Anthony. “We had a feeling that it would kind of line up with Team USA being in the finals, so we were like, ‘You know what? We're just gonna get a ticket to the finals game. It's an easy enough drive over [from Fort Myers] where we have time to get over there and get back.’ We bought the tickets probably a week or two prior, and it worked out.”
This browser does not support the video element.
Ever since the Red Sox used Anthony as their compensatory Draft pick for losing Eduardo Rodriguez in free agency, most things have worked out for Boston’s rising star.
After weeks of anticipation -- and monster home runs for Triple-A Worcester -- the Red Sox promoted Anthony to the Major Leagues on June 9 of last season.
Though his rookie season ended on Sept. 2 due to a left oblique strain, the gifted left-handed hitter made his presence felt, slashing .292/.396/.463 with eight homers and 32 RBIs in 71 games and 257 at-bats.
Heading into ‘26, Anthony is considered the top all-around hitter on the Red Sox, which is impressive considering his age and lack of experience.
Anthony will join teammate Garrett Whitlock in playing for Team USA.
“This is such an honor, such a blessing,” said Anthony. “My parents, my brother and sister, we grew up watching the WBC.”
Getting to spend time with the cast of position-player stars assembled on Team USA should benefit Anthony. The squad includes team captain Aaron Judge, Bryce Harper, Cal Raleigh, Kyle Schwarber, Bobby Witt Jr. and Alex Bregman -- who mentored Anthony when they were teammates last season.
“All of them have, for the most part, more experience than myself,” Anthony said. “So I grew up watching these guys on TV, and to play against a good bit of them last year was awesome, but just to play with them and to take the field with them and to gain so much knowledge from everyone's background of the game, like I said, there are so many vets on this team and so many legends. So just getting to take the field with them and to experience that for a few weeks will be awesome.”
Anthony was informed of his pending addition to the team late last week by Team USA manager Mark DeRosa. On Sunday night, Anthony got a text informing him that he was officially on the squad.
“Obviously it's one of those calls that pops up that makes you just kind of light up,” said Anthony. “It’s an unbelievable opportunity to even be considered for something like that with the group of guys that are there.”
This browser does not support the video element.
Boston’s entire outfield/DH rotation will be playing in the Classic, as Jarren Duran (Mexico), Ceddanne Rafaela (Netherlands), Wilyer Abreu (Venezuela) and Masataka Yoshida (Japan) are also participating.
“When I got to camp, I was going to be the one outfielder that was here [during the WBC],” said Anthony. “We have a bunch of guys going, so I didn't expect it at all.”
In all, the Sox organization has 15 players scheduled to participate in the international showcase, including starting first baseman Willson Contreras and two pitchers from the starting rotation in Brayan Bello (Dominican Republic) and Ranger Suárez (Venezuela).
“It'll be awesome to kind of see those guys on the other side and just kind of joke with them, but at the same time, share the field and compete against them,” Anthony said. “Because obviously we don't get a chance to compete against those guys much given that we play for the same team. So I think it'll be a great opportunity.”