Vitello sets record straight about decision to leave Tennessee

This browser does not support the video element.

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- One week into his first Spring Training with the Giants, it’s clear manager Tony Vitello is having trouble moving on from the past.

The former University of Tennessee coach opened his media session with reporters on Monday with an unprompted 3-minute monologue in which he disputed a report from The Athletic that first linked him to the Giants last year. The Athletic reported that the Giants were “closing in” on hiring Vitello on Oct. 18, but the 47-year-old said he hadn’t made a decision at that point, which ultimately complicated his exit from Knoxville.

“You know, somebody decides they think they got the information -- the final blow was about four days later,” said Vitello, who was announced as the Giants’ manager on Oct. 22. “I'm just kind of having a conversation -- therapy, if you will. I needed confirmation from the coaches that I worked with that helped boost my status that they were OK with what was going to go on, and they were going to be OK with their jobs. That staff had always been built like ‘the next man up,’ and all of a sudden that was being threatened. It's kind of hard to do something for yourself and your teammates get left behind.”

Vitello had hoped to keep his deliberations under wraps, but he felt the need to address his former players at Tennessee once word got out that he was considering leaving for the Giants.

“They got talent and they got good kids, so they're going to be just fine,” Vitello said. “But yeah, that was not a fun Saturday, and then it kind of affected how the next few days went.”

Why did Vitello feel the need to rehash old history?

“Because somebody tweeted it out,” said Vitello, who also noted that he still hasn’t read any of the stories about his hiring. “I don’t know who told them. I wish I did. It might have changed the course of history if I would have known who did, to be honest with you. But it just bothers me. I don’t know. I hate to get philosophical, but you see people angry on the streets, for a lot of times, stuff that is not even true. People arguing and you don’t know what reality is.”

Vitello, of course, is still adjusting to his new reality with the Giants and acknowledged that he might have to “divide a line in the sand” between Tennessee and San Francisco after Monday.

“If it’s all at once and someone's watching it, they might be like, ‘Hey, let's make sure you know what shade of orange you're wearing there,’” Vitello joked. “You can love that equally to your current place as well.”

Peguero dealing with hamstring tightness
Right-handed reliever Joel Peguero will be limited with his on-field activity over the next week after experiencing a bout of left hamstring tightness. Peguero, 28, logged a 2.42 ERA over 17 relief appearances for the Giants in 2025 and should be a candidate for a spot in the Opening Day bullpen if healthy.

This browser does not support the video element.

“I think it's a deal [of] caution this time of year,” Vitello said. “Maybe that's me hoping, too, that it's something he's got to address but nothing that's long-term serious.”

The Giants are already a bit banged up in the bullpen, as free-agent additions Sam Hentges (right knee and left shoulder surgery) and Jason Foley (right shoulder surgery) are also rehabbing from injuries this spring. Hentges is building up his bullpen progressions for the next week, but Foley isn’t expected to be available until midseason.

More from MLB.com