Yankees option Jones, Cruz with Cole, Caballero expected back today

This browser does not support the video element.

NEW YORK -- Spencer Jones crossed off a few items on his to-do list during his initial taste of the big leagues, including a fifth-inning swipe of second base in Thursday’s 2-0 loss to the Blue Jays -- the Yankees outfielder and No. 6 prospect's first stolen bag in The Show.

The big-swinging slugger was hoping to add his first homer, but that will have to wait.

Jones was optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre late Thursday along with rookie right-hander Yovanny Cruz. The Yankees are preparing to activate right-hander Gerrit Cole and infielder José Caballero for Friday’s series opener against the AL East-leading Rays at Yankee Stadium.

Cole’s return from Tommy John surgery will mark his first big league action since Game 5 of the 2024 World Series.

"I know he’ll definitely be amped up,” captain Aaron Judge said. “There’s going to be some jitters, there’s going to be some nerves, but he never usually shows it. I think he’s just excited to get back on the mound and pitch in front of this fanbase. It’s going to be a rowdy crowd tomorrow.”

Jones was promoted earlier this month after Jasson Domínguez landed on the injured list with a left AC joint sprain. In 10 games, Jones went 4-for-24 (.167) with two RBIs, three walks and 12 strikeouts.

Cruz pitched twice in the series against the Blue Jays, including an impressive debut on Wednesday in which he struck out three over two scoreless innings.

The decision to option Jones is an interesting call, considering Caballero is expected to return as the starting shortstop and Trent Grisham is considered day to day with inflammation in his left knee that forced him to undergo an MRI on Thursday. That imaging showed no structural damage.

This browser does not support the video element.

Anthony Volpe has been logging starts while Caballero mended a fractured right middle finger, and has yet to play any position other than shortstop at the big league level. Max Schuemann remains on the roster, capable of filling in at multiple positions.

On Wednesday, Yankees manager Aaron Boone hedged when asked if the club’s best defensive alignment could involve Volpe starting at shortstop and Caballero roving as a 10th man, the super-utility role that the club initially envisioned for him.

“Maybe, but he’s also played at a level that, to me, he has earned the right to be out there at shortstop more often,” Boone said. “I think the first [41] games he played in the season, he was playing the best shortstop in the league and doing a lot of things to spark us offensively, too. It’s important to acknowledge that. But there’s no question that his versatility is a real asset, too.”

More from MLB.com