Story undergoes successful surgery for sports hernia
This browser does not support the video element.
Red Sox shortstop Trevor Story underwent a successful surgery to repair a sports hernia, the club announced on Friday. The procedure was performed by Dr. William Meyers at The Vincera Institute in Philadelphia.
The club did not offer a timeline for a return for the 33-year-old, who on Saturday said "the basic prognosis is six to 10 weeks, give or take."
While Story had been dealing with discomfort since Spring Training, the team had been labeling it as a right groin injury. Recently, Story underwent scans that revealed a more serious sports hernia injury, one that could keep him out of action for several weeks. He was placed on the 10-day injured list Saturday.
Story, Boston’s veteran leader, has been one of the several players on the club to have slumped for most of the season. In 41 games and 165 at-bats, Story has a batting line of .206/.244/.303 with three homers, 19 RBIs, eight walks and 57 strikeouts.
“I hate to [use an excuse],” Story said on Saturday. “I'm not going to be blaming it all on that, but it plays a part, for sure. I think the main thing is getting it right, and I'm not so much worried about what has happened, and I’m more worried about problem-solving it and moving forward with the next steps, whatever that may be.”
While Story stayed healthy last season and hit like he did during his years with the Rockies, he’s had injuries that have forced him to miss significant time in his other Boston seasons, starting with his arrival in 2022.