HOW TO APPLY
MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation (the "Foundation") is a joint initiative between Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association. It was created to increase participation in and expand access to youth baseball and softball. The Foundation makes grants to organizations in the United States and internationally. The Foundation accepts applications throughout the year, and grant decisions are made by its Board of Directors on a quarterly basis.
Applicants are evaluated to determine their effectiveness at increasing participation in and expanding access to youth baseball and softball. The Foundation seeks to fund organizations with the following characteristics:
- Bold, innovative and creative ideas to increase opportunities for youth (20 and under), in particular youth who are minorities, girls and/or located in underserved communities.
- Strong sense of mission and ability to accomplish that mission.
- Related experience and/or a proven track record.
- Committed leadership and a dedicated staff.
- Understanding and knowledge of the community and population served.
- Financial stability for sustainability.
- Business plan to attract other funders and proven co-funding from other sources.
- Belief in community development through the games of youth baseball and softball.
- Use of youth baseball and softball to help underserved youth succeed beyond the field.
What do we support?
The Foundation considers requests for a variety of purposes including funding capital projects (e.g., field renovations), baseball/softball programs, and education initiatives.
- Capital projects include: building and renovating fields and practice facilities and installing lighting.
- Baseball/Softball programs include: in-school/after-school baseball/softball programming, equipment and uniforms, umpire fees, player registration fees and practice facility rental fees.
- Education initiatives include: programs, exhibits and other learning opportunities that use baseball and softball as its primary focus to promote interest and engagement in the game.
What we do not support?
- The Foundation does not support annual operating expenses including, but not limited to, fundraising costs, salaries, insurance costs, administrative expenses, membership dues, advertising and promotional expenses, bank charges, audit expenses, and other third-party overhead costs.
- Fields used for sports and activities other than youth baseball and softball.
- Travel teams, except for those serving low-income players.
If you are interested in applying
If you are interested in applying, download the Letter of Inquiry instructions. You will receive an update within 30 days following your Letter of Inquiry submission. The Foundation may request a phone call to review your project/program if it has additional questions.
Please submit a copy to YDF@mlb.com or send in a hard copy at:
MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation
RE: Grant Application
245 Park Avenue, 31st Floor
New York, New York 10167
For any questions, contact YDF@mlb.com or 212.931.7886