Smith (neck inflammation) could start rehab soon on road back from IL
This browser does not support the video element.
DENVER -- Dodgers catcher Will Smith, a key to the club’s postseason success and a player with the tools to help get the stalled offense back in gear, is churning closer to a September return.
Smith, on the injured list since June 11 – and transferred to the 60-day IL on July 21 – is recovering from neck inflammation and could begin a Minor League rehab assignment as soon as next week. Smith was not with the Dodgers at Coors Field on Monday night for Los Angeles' series opener against the Rockies.
“[There is a chance] for a lot of live [batting practices] for him, facing pitchers, and then I think there's a chance that he goes out on rehab next week,” manager Dave Roberts said. “So I think hopefully, if this is a good week, then he could go out on rehab.”
Roberts said he doesn’t have an exact timetable for Smith's return, but is penciling in Sept. 1.
“Let's just see how he gets through live [BPs],” Roberts continued. “I don’t see it before Sept. 1, and then we’ll kind of go from there.”
The Dodgers shut Smith down from baseball activities during the All-Star break with the hope that rest could help him recover and reset. Smith had been doing some baseball work, including hitting in the cage, but the neck injury continued to bother him.
Smith hit .249 with a .720 OPS and six home runs in 52 games (201 plate appearances) before going on the IL.
Los Angeles has also been without backup catcher Dalton Rushing, who’s been shut down from throwing after suffering a slight UCL tear in his right elbow. Rushing might not return to duties until the final month of the season.
For now, Ben Rortvedt and Hunter Feduccia are working behind the plate for Los Angeles.